• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple Submissions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Denyse

Denyse

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 07:59 AM

Hi all, :lmao:
I'm new to this and still trying to find my way.
When you go on the directory submission sites, many of them tell you that you can only submit one URL per site.
Yet from what I've been reading from Shari Thurow's book, and from Jill's site and from other web sources, I could conclude that you can submit each page individually... so now I'm confused. Can anyone clarify this for me.
BTW great forum.

Denyse

#2 Mel

Mel

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 11:48 AM

Hi Denyse:
Normally youcan only submit your site for a single listing in a directory but there can be exceptions:

You can list your site in both a business or technical category at DMOZ and also in a geographical category.

Some directories will allow you to have more than one listing IF there are sections of your site that clearly belong in different categories, but this is usually on a case by case editor decision.
Hope this helps

#3 raven

raven

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 12:55 PM

Hi Denyse :)

I don't know how the other directories work but Gimpsy will only allow you to submit your site once, however, you can allocate the site to as many categories as you like - providing they are relevant. If the site is accepted it may not be approved in all suggested categories but it gives the editors an idea of what to look for when reviewing your site.

Hope that helps.

raven

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,979 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 01:13 PM

For directories, they will generally only add your main home page, and that's usually what you will submit.

There are circumstances where you can sometimes submit different areas of your site. For instance, this forum is part of my main domain highrankings.com, but it might be accepted as a stand alone site to a directory editor. It would be something that it can't hurt to try. It would be up to the individual editor to decide if the content stands on its own.

;)

Jill

#5 Denyse

Denyse

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 02:40 PM

Thank you that clarifies this part - so then it brings up another point.

I live in Quebec and most of the sites I do are bilingual with the index page offering links to the two languages wich then go through to the different language home pages proper (think of a tree with two main branches) - should I submit each of these pages, or the index page (which usually does not have much in the word department)

Denyse

#6 raven

raven

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 06:27 PM

I'd go with the main page (index) because not every directory accepts non-English web sites. This way, you'll have both.

raven

#7 Denyse

Denyse

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 07:52 AM

Even though it does not have much in the way of text?
I did put a paragraph of rich text in the appropriate language on the alt of the button images, thats the only place to put text other than the metas, would that be enough??? Any other suggestions?

Denyse

#8 raven

raven

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 08:01 AM

Denyse,

Remember, we are talking about directories, not search engines. Directories are usually handled by human editors so the lack of text on a home page means absolutely nothing to us. It's the site's content we care about :lol:

raven

#9 markymark

markymark

HR 4

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 11:39 AM

Denyse,

When you submit to human reviewed directories, like Yahoo, Gimpsy or wherever, you are actually submitting the whole site, so the lack of content on the home page is not an issue.

I can see your confusion, though as the default page of your sites simply have links to the English language and French language versions of the site. So, this is what I would do :

If your site is www.bigwidgets.com and your English homepage is www.bigwidgets.com/english, I would submit www.bigwidgets.com/english to the English language categories and www.bigwidgets.com/francais to the French language categories.

#10 Denyse

Denyse

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 08:38 AM

Thanks Raven,
I am still a newbie and tend to forget these things
and Markymark thats a great suggestion, thanks.

Denyse

#11 raven

raven

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 11:34 AM

No problem. It took me a while to understand the difference between the two :thumbup:

Good luck!

raven

#12 awall19

awall19

Peanut Butter Lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:52 PM

There are some times when an inner page has a better chance of listing than the entire site does. If your home page fails many times over (not listed after close to a year and after multiple submissions) I would try inner pages of specifically high content focus and quality. I was a nuclear reactor operator on a submarine in the navy and hated my life.

My website about this topic was continually denied to the open directory. My web page with some of my poems reflecting this opinion was listed in the open directory within days of submission. Basically what I am saying is that if you have let sufficient time pass, and still feel no hope to be listed, give yourself a second try by submitting other pages. If they already said no, what risk is there in trying another avenue?

the keys are that the page should:
be focused on a specific topic
have enough content to stand on its own

My poetry page is not pretty looking, and I do not think my poetry is even good but my page got accepted nonetheless. My name is Aaron though, so my horrible poetry lists first in the personal poetry pages... everything has a reason

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!