• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Underscores, Hyphens

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#16 dabblingmum

dabblingmum

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 01:16 PM

Thanks!

I didnt think it would maybe I should not use the underscore in the future?????

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 01:23 PM

You should use whatever you like! If you like your pages that way, then use them.

One problem with an underscore is that it can look like space in an underlined link. You could run into problems with someone linking to the page incorrectly in that case.

Jill

#18 plantboy

plantboy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:18 PM

I remember trying to convince a client that having multiple keyword-packed domains was useless. They bought several domains with no delimiter between keywords. stuff like: exampleproduct.com, reallybadexample.com, lamepost.com....I had to use the Saturday Night Live "Celebrity Jeopardy!" sketches as teaching examples:

how does a search engine know that www.therapists.com is isn't "the rapists"?

or www.thepenismightier.com isn't....well you get the picture...

Anyway, that helped them understand a little. Although I had to stress to them that a domain name is far more useful as branding than as SEO, and if branding is the more important, go with something simple and easy to remember. In other words, something without hyphens.

#19 omahonydonnelly

omahonydonnelly

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 04:59 PM

Hey plantboy, can I use your example when explaining this to clients?

I've just revamped a couple of decent sized sites using keyword rich file names, using underscores. After reading the Google Guy comment somewhere else, I have been planning to redo the lot using hyphens instead.

Jill, sounds like this would be insane in your opinion. Though I'd rather go the insane route if it has a chance of helping!

#20 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 05:38 PM

Jill, sounds like this would be insane in your opinion.

Yeah, pretty much!

Though I'd rather go the insane route if it has a chance of helping!

Things like that might possibly help if everything else were equal between two sites. If it's easy enough to change it, then it certainly won't hurt to do so. It's up to you to decide what you're time is worth!

Jill

#21 plantboy

plantboy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 08:41 AM

>Hey plantboy, can I use your example when explaining this to clients?

By all means!

#22 Jamie

Jamie

HR 1

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 02:56 PM

Too much effort goes into buying keyword-rich domains, and it only serves to help the domain buying industry! :doh:

Jill

Hello Jill
It appears from my experience having a key word in the domain name would be helpful. My Contact Us page only had two phone numbers and one address and a few alt tags, one of which was “Latin Wife”, and an email addresses with the domain Latin-Wife, nothing else.

This page was ranked in the top 3 for Latin wife in Google for months after I went life with the website. How would one explain this positioning for an almost empty page for a new site if not for the domain name referenced in the email?

I recently added some text to this page within the last three month and I see my Contact Us page dropped out for this key word and was replaced by my home page using the second domain name that I use for my site.

So if one considers you have your email address on your website would this be a convincing point for using a domain name with a key word?

Jamie

Engage The Exotic

#23 schecky

schecky

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:38 PM

Not really, you could have done the exact same thing in a file or directory name and IMO, the results would likely be the same or that's what I concluded after studying this phenomena in Google SERPs for quite some time. The domain name may have advantages in links, if you subscribe to the text around links theory, but I wouldn't advise buying or developing a second domain to do it.

#24 Jamie

Jamie

HR 1

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 12:58 AM

the results would likely be the same or that's what I concluded after studying this phenomena in Google SERPs for quite some time.

I don’t doubt that you are right but I still wonder how I got that high ranking for an almost empty page. Thanks for your response Jill, I’ll take a study over my guessing any day.
Jamie

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!