• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

- - - - -

Submission Or Being Spidered

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Old-Welsh-Guy_*

Guest_Old-Welsh-Guy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2003 - 04:47 AM

At the risk of making myself appear a Dim Wit !

I read (god knows where) that google etc prefer to 'find' your site than have it submitted, is this true?

I always try to do the best thing, but noticed that the google bot was coming back to a dailt updated page on one of my sites almost daily, so i thought ' why not stick a link on this page to the new site' I really struggled with the integrity of this but came to the conclusion that as the new site was relevant to the content it would be ok.

Within a few days the bot had been to the new site, and a few weeks after that the new site was listed.

My question is have i done a bad thing? or is googlebot treating my regularly changing page as a weblog, (which is what it is really but not on a blog site)?

#2 Gary Bagshawe

Gary Bagshawe

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 05:07 AM

Hi old welsh guy, I don't think that you have done a bad thing at all. Google seems to put a fair bit of weight on link popularity and certainly if it's a relevant link go for it. Google is also getting very fresh of late. I uploaded 3 new and updated sites just recently and they were all found and cached by google within 3 days.
I don't think that google is treating your site as a weblog it has just got much faster at updating things so that google is now probably the search engine with the freshest content and you don't have to pay for inclusion or refreshes. :aloha:

#3 thejenn

thejenn

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 08:32 AM

Additionally, if the content was relevant to the site, then I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't have done it.

Google has publically stated that they like to find sites via links, you gave them a link. Makes perfect sense to me.

I pretty much never submit sites these days, unless I'm going a PFI or Trusted Feed route, instead, I build the incoming links through directories and link building campaigns and let the sites be found that way.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,926 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 09:58 AM

As long as it's a visible link and it makes sense to the page you've placed it on, then it's fine, and a good idea.

It only took a day or two for this forum to start getting spidered once I added links to it from the rest of my site.

That said, it's not so much that Google "prefers" to find the links on their own, it's just that they will find sites on their own very easily if they are well-linked. You can submit a site till you're blue in the face, but it's not linked, it's doubtful it will stay in Google for very long, if at all.

Jill

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!