• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Quick Teoma/askjeeves Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 markymark

markymark

HR 4

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 03:45 AM

One of my clients' sites is appearing in Teoma and AskJeeves displaying the ODP title and description. I don't mind this per se, but I am wondering if this is the reason why it appears in the default worldwide search at www.ask.co.uk but not in the 'UK sites only' search. It is a .co.uk site, in case you were wondering.

Any one got any ideas about this ?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 08:06 AM

Hmm, interesting! I have no idea about the answer, but what you're saying makes sense. Have those engines been using ODP data for long? I hadn't heard that before.

Jill

#3 markymark

markymark

HR 4

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 08:59 AM

I've seen ODP listings appear for other sites for - I guess - a month or so. These are just regular listings in the SERPs and they click through to the homepage but they just have the ODP title and description. Inktomi did exactly the same thing 18 months - 2 years ago and I never found out how or why they did it either. I'm just a bit annoyed at this one as it seems to be knocking the site out of the UK only listings on Ask.co.uk, which is where most of the Ask traffic is.

#4 Elandrael

Elandrael

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 03:29 PM

... It is a .co.uk site, in case you were wondering.

Any one got any ideas about this ?

Hello markymark,

First of all I m French so excuse me by advance for any misspelling my answer can contain.

I m wondering if this is the same as for Google and French indexation.

Something is sure about French pages, when you are hosted outside the country IPs selected, its affect ranking with foreign language.

http://www.google.fr/

You can see 3 options while using French version of Google "whole index" "French content index" or "French only pages"

Can this have any use with what you are experiencing?

PS. Hello Jill, and thank for you very good work, advices and so on ... I just been lurking for months, know it's time to get out of my cocoon :hmm:

Elandrael

#5 markymark

markymark

HR 4

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 04:47 PM

Elandrael,

I don't think that's it, I'm afraid. They have a .co.uk domain and are hosted in the UK, so if it worked the same way as Google, they would appear in the UK results. I'm still stumped on this, so any other theories would be gratefully accepted.

#6 MakeMeTop

MakeMeTop

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 10:18 AM

Ah, the infamous ASK UK index!!!!

The Ask UK index is a different DB. It was seeded originally by the main Teoma DB but has now split off. The only way I currently know of to get into the Ask UK Teoma DB is via PFI.

This started a few months ago. I don't know if they are going to do another update from the main Teoma DB for UK sites - but I haven't seen it yet.

There are still a lot of glitches on Teoma UK data - even on PFI. But paying via the AJ UK submit button will get you in. It is nothing to do with domain name/hosting/etc. - all to do with coughing up a few quid!!!

#7 markymark

markymark

HR 4

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 10:33 AM

This site is in Ask PFI - though not via the Ask.co.uk submit button - which seems to have a different pricing scheme than ineedhits (who I used to submit it last March or April). Is that all there is to it, then ?

#8 MakeMeTop

MakeMeTop

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 02:42 PM

Ha - you got it in one!

Until a few months ago Ask PFI fed both indexes. Now Ask PFI (via PT or IneedHits) feeds just the US index.

Ask UK has to be submitted via the Ask UK/PT submit button.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!