• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Emphasis Tags

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#16 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 07:49 AM

Honestly, I only knew about strong and em when I got Dreamweaver, used the Design view for the first time, and clicked the "B" button and noticed that the tags it inserted weren't <b>!!
I don't think it's that important. It's a part of the general move of HTML away from formatting and towards structuring only, with CSS intended for use in styling.
By that same token, you should never have an align tag, a font tag, or a color tag on your page; just classes and ids. Does Google care if you do? No. The only compelling thing I've heard (besides pages written that way being easier to maintain by a million miles) is that the less code is on the page, the more time the bots have to read your actual content.

[Edited out stuff about another forum. Please see Guidelines - Jill]

It's a fun thing for geeks to get in an excited tizzy about. And oh, they do.
My boyfriend is currently on a huge fascinated kick about the Semantic Web. He spends all his free time at work surfing the web for more information on it, and whenever he zones out I know if I ask him what he's thinking about he'll tell me something else about RSS. Hee. Geeks are so cute. (Sometimes.)

Edited by Jill, 01 August 2003 - 08:21 AM.

#17 Denyse

Denyse

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 08:08 AM

This all sounds like a good incentive to move over to external CSSs, other than just making sense for formating.

Denyse

#18 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

HR 6

• 966 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for all your advice, but I'm wondering if the risk involved using an editor to try to do a one-time change from <b> to <strong> and <i> to <em> is worth it in improved search engine ranking.

If it improved your SE rankings, it would definitely be worth some effort. Like others here, I doubt it will.

IMO, the only reason to make the change would to appease that nagging little feeling some people experience when things aren't quite "right." For example, if you were in the habit of running your code through a validater, you might want to change the deprecated tags to the accepted ones?

What ever the reason for wanting to change them, it shouldn't be that tough to do. Just use a good text editor, rather than a WYSIWYG HTML editor to make the changes. Here's one called TextPad that would enable you to easily change all of the opening tags, then go back and change all the closing tags, with NO danger of messing up your code.

#19 wanderer

wanderer

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2003 - 09:54 PM

I try not to use the deprecated tags. If I'm working on an existing site that is full of <b> and <i> tags, I will use notepad to replace them. I don't go through the whole site at once, but if I make some other change to a page, I'll replace them.

In Notepad, Edit/Replace/Find Next. After you hit enter to replace, it automatically jumps to the next occurence. I see each tag that is being replaced.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!