Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?
More SEO Content
Partial Indexing In Google
Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:33 AM
I have been lurking in this group for a while and thought I'd finally post a question. One or two posts have made reference to 'partial indexing' that google has been doing over the last few weeks/months. If I do a search in google using:
It lists 45 urls without any title or snippet of info. This I am being led to believe is what is being refered to as partial indexing. From other posts the concensus seems to be that large sites or those moved to Froogle may be affected. The site I am looking is a conference centre and the site has about 6 pages on it so would not actually fall into either category.
Does anyone know what else could be causing this and why?
Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:51 AM
Yes they are dynamic pages. I have URLs like:
Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:54 AM
Posted 17 August 2004 - 10:01 AM
I used that URL as an example but I have in many cases up to 4-5 IDs being passed (it's the CMS I use, it creates these long multi-string URLs - I have 8 IDs for my sitemap). Would that number of IDs being passed worsen the problem?
Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:50 AM
Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:54 AM
My guess is that your long url string is at least part of the problem, but I'll await comment from the more technically competent members of the forum!
Posted 17 August 2004 - 01:41 PM
For those partially indexed pages I really don't think there is any solution other than to wait and hope that Google clears those up during a subsequent pass through your site.
If you have pages which are not getting indexed at all, I would certainly take a close look at the number of variables in the URL to see if those can be decreased either via the CMS configuration or some mod_rewrite rules. Assuming it's important to your that those deeper pages to get indexed of course.
Posted 17 August 2004 - 02:18 PM
I changes the variables to look like folders and even 8 folders deep, they are all indexed.
Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:12 PM
Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:21 PM
As you have been ranked for 3 years, my guess is that the partial indexing you are seeing is down to either a glitch at Google, or to your server being down when the bot last tried to crawl your site.
Either way, you just have to wait it out.
But if Googlebot calls again and you still have partial indexing, that would indicate more worrying problems.
There's a couple of threads on the forum where 'partial indexing' has been discussed before, so if you do a site search for those it will probably give you further info.
Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:36 AM
Another lurker finally registered.
Loflyn, you might be interested to know that one of our sites has just had a whole load of links disappear from google too. Some are now just PIPs, others have dropped completely.
I've just rewritten al lthe pages to get rid of the querystrings and am now hoping for the best!
Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:59 AM
If rewriting the query strings solves the problem for you, please post a 'before-and-after' for us all - thanks.
Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:23 PM
I've been through enough of these to know to just wait it out, though. We'll see what the next couple of weeks holds.
Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:01 PM
To give you an idea of the story so far:
At first all products in my ecommerce solution were in the form product.asp?id=1...
This got them indexed reasonably successfully, but still below a key competitor.
In an attempt to improve things, I'd read on this forum that sometimes google may not like the variable called id. I've also had good experience in the past where a product name was the url. In a site wide change I made all links point to product.asp?prodnum=1&name=product_name. The name variable was just a dummy variable to get the product name in to the link. After the next spider all products were gone from the index (even though links with id= would still work).
My current hypotheses as to why they were removed could be that google simply didn't like the two parameters, or maybe it thought the site was giving duplicate content, since it was spidering the old pages.
Next I added a site map with all the two-parameter links to see how google went from there. The sitemap was spidered very quickly, however none of the products were. Since then the products have never featured in the index.
Two days ago I updated all the links in the form products/product_type/product_name.asp.
I look forward to seeing what happens when google respiders.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users