• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Research Tools

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 06:34 PM

Keyword research is a critical function for search engine optimization. The tools below can help you find the the best keyphrases for your site.

Wordtracker
This is the 800-lb gorilla in the keyword research world. You can test it out using their demo mode (which gives you Alta Vista-based research only) but sign up for a subscription for the full features.

See Jill's article, Tips on Using Wordtracker to Find the Best Keyword Phrases for more info.

Free tools:

Overture's Search Term Inventory Tool

Good Keywords

Even Better Keywords

Google Adwords

AltaVista Prisma
Searching AltaVista won't give you search volume, but it can help you come up with related terms you may want to target

If you've got a other suggestions for keyword research, post them below!

#2 ImVickieB

ImVickieB

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for the great resources! I am a great fan of Word Tracker and the cost of joining has already been paid back in increased revenue from our ecommerce websites. Posted Image

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,927 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 11:15 PM

Welcome, ImVickieB! :aloha:

Jill

#4 Webmaster-Toolkit.com

Webmaster-Toolkit.com

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 03:31 AM

*shameless self promotion*
Webmaster Toolkit Keyword Research Tool
*end shameless self promotion*

#5 RisaBB

RisaBB

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 09:28 PM

Scottie,

Thanks for the list. I just downloaded Good Keywords, and it doesn't come with detailed instructions, so I have a few questions.

What does SINo mean and what does Count mean? The number of people who have searched for the term that day? or in their database?

Thanks,
Risa

#6 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 02 August 2003 - 09:51 PM

Hi Risa-

Did you check the Good Keywords Support page? I'll have to admit, I haven't used it much lately...

#7 RisaBB

RisaBB

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 09:28 AM

Scottie,

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Risa

#8 awall19

awall19

Peanut Butter Lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:18 AM

There are also a couple free keyword tools from the two largest price per click search providers.

Overture considers the internets searches as its inventory. To properly sell this inventory they offer a tool to show what searches were done on Overture (and some of its partners) in the last month. Keep in mind that this in no way accounts for seasonal shifts or things like that. The biggest problems with the Overture tool are that
1.) it combines singular and plural versions
2.) it is only a percentage of the web. the numbers vary based on the search term and who you ask, but the ballpark I generally hear is that multiplying the Overture search term occurance by a multiple of 5 to 20 will give overall web traffic. Please note that the exact # is hard to calculate and the general idea is what you should be looking for anyway.

Overture Search Term Suggestion Tool

Googles keyword sandbox suggests similar keywords to those typed into the suggestion box.

Google Keyword Sandbox

for the record, both tools are inferior to WordTracker, but if you are affraid to spend money they are a good place to start. WordTracker does have a free trial though

#9 neyne

neyne

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 03:27 AM

*shameless self promotion*
Webmaster Toolkit Keyword Research Tool
*end shameless self promotion*

Hi everyone,

I have a question for Webmaster-Toolkit. What is the meaning of the results that your tool provides ? Where does it get them from ?

It can be a great tool for locating keyphrases to be checked further more (since none of the stated tools are reliable by themselves) but i don't know how to relate to the results.

Thanx.

My 5c is that i wouldn't reccomend using Overture tool due to the following reasons:

1. The results are SERIOUSLY skewed by advertisers.
2. There are plenty of cases where the machine adds up the results for plural and singular forms, which can be misleading.
3. You can never know what is the meaning of the high numbers presented. Does it give the number of searches performed on Overture only or Overture and all the sites that feature Overture sponsored listings ?

From my experience, the best practice is to use Google sandbox and Wordtracker in order to locate the relevant keyphrases. Once you have a long list of phrases, you can establish a relation between them through Wordtracker or through Google Adwords (great idea Dan, going to try it :notworthy: ).

My 5 cents.

#10 Webmaster-Toolkit.com

Webmaster-Toolkit.com

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 09:13 AM

I have a question for Webmaster-Toolkit. What is the meaning of the results that your tool provides ? Where does it get them from ?

The tool actually gets the top 10 results for the phrase you specified and extracts the meta keywords used on these pages. Therefore it can produce some interesting results, but these results to not equate to any popularity of searches.

#11 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,927 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 10:30 AM

Welcome, Chris! :aloha:

Thanks for adding your valuable perspective!

Jill

#12 TBroadfoot3rd

TBroadfoot3rd

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:34 AM

Well I do not have to post my email between Chris and I about factor and the way it is arrived at since Chris is here as a member you can get any info about Good Keywords or Even Better Keywords just let Chris know.

Not a shameless plug but was impressed with the response time of Chris' answers to my questions.

Welcome to the board Chris.

#13 Guest_CurlyKarl_*

Guest_CurlyKarl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2003 - 11:53 AM

Hi

A couple of uk specific ones are :

http://www.espotting...ywordgenbox.asp

and

http://inventory.uk....ory/suggestion/

Karl :aloha:

#14 Denyse

Denyse

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 August 2003 - 12:16 PM

Anyone know of a keyword tool for foreign language? Specifically French?

Denyse

#15 DanThies

DanThies

Keyword Super Freak

• 865 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 04:54 PM

Just throwing one more tool into the mix... using a "keyword density analyzer" on competing sites (and your own site) can be very enlightening, in terms of what search terms you may be overlooking.

I like the way this one reports, but it doesn't allow URLs with question marks:
http://www.ranks.nl/tools/spider.html

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!