• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Questions About Directory Submissions?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#31 Denyse

Denyse

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 03:11 PM

OK, this may be an incredebly stupid question :slap: and show my inexperience, but here goes:

I understand that with search engines, the quality of SEO is what determines the ranking. But what about directories? How do they determine ranking, or do the same SEO rules apply?

Denyse

#32 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 03:28 PM

In the ODP, they're alphabetical within a given category. The Google directory (which is a copy of the ODP) gives the user a choice of displaying directory listings alphabetically or by Google PR.

GoGuides appears to be alphabetical as well.

JoeAnt sorts by editor ratings.

In Gimpsy, the first listings for a category are "featured sites". After that, the order is random and changes each month.

Edited by qwerty, 21 August 2003 - 03:37 PM.

#33 Denyse

Denyse

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 03:36 PM

So, other than doing the yellow page version of url -- ie. www.aaaaaaabluewidget.com you can't affect position? :wacko:

Denyse

#34 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 03:41 PM

There are some things you can do... for JoeAnt, make a site that the editors love, and in Gimpsy you can get your site "featured". Here's what they have to say about it:

Which place will my site have in the search results?
Gimpsy uses random placement as a matter of policy. We don't believe that sorting sites alphabetically or by popularity (which is very difficult to measure anyway) provides a good service to the user. Each month, all the sites in every category are reshuffled and given a new random place.
Are there no exceptions to this rule?
There are three exceptions. A site will be promoted to a prominent position in the search results in the following cases:
The site has won a place in the monthly auction ('red star').
The site has entered into a reciprocal promotion agreement with Gimpsy ('golden star').
The site is a new entry in Gimpsy ('blue star').
This is a fixed order. In other words, a 'golden star' site will always be above a 'blue star' (if present in the list) and below a 'red star' (if present).

#35 hbird64

hbird64

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 03:59 PM

for JoeAnt, make a site that the editors love

We like sites that are 'comprehensive, offer large amounts of information, and be easy to use. '

Hugo
Staff Member of JoeAnt.com

#36 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2003 - 04:18 PM

I'm glad you're here, Hugo, because it looks like I made a mistake. I just looked at one of my sites' listings on JoeAnt, and it comes up second for its category. However, there are higher-rated sites below it in the listing.

So how did my site get to be so high up?

[added] Ah, I think I've got it. If you drill down through the directory, it goes by editor rating, but it you run a keyword search, the order seems to be based on relevance to the query.[/added]

#37 kneelsit

kneelsit

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2003 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for making that point about multiple categories MC I must go in now and make a point of looking at other possible suitable and relevant categories.

:D Kudos on allowing this important function as I have found some directories to be not exactly relevant (to my product that is) in the list of category choices offered.

Greg.

P.S. Definitely agree on your comments re. our lovely moderators Hugo :thumbup:
Scottier can come sailing with me any time she chooses.

#38 fred

fred

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 11:17 AM

Is it really worth it to pay for directory inclusions ?

Do people really use directory or do we submit to directory simply to get indexed by the major search engines ?

Is there a free inclusion for teoma ? I have seen some post as if there was a free inclusion in Teoma

Fred

#39 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,157 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 11:21 AM

In my opinion, most directories are not worth paying for, unless they're very specific to your industry.

Teoma isn't a directory, and it does spider sites and add them for free all the time.

Jill

#40 turbocashuk

turbocashuk

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 01:04 PM

Hi Jill
When you see the big cheeses from yahoo, ylcos et al, please tell them to follow google's lead by sorting the .co.uk searches by IP address and NOT by whether they have a .co.uk in the domain name.
I can't understand why yahoo.co.uk only includes .co.uk's in its search results.
Thanx
Jonathan

#41 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 01:08 PM

LOL- add that to your "to-do" list Jill. It's a noble cause!

:whip: Yahoo into shape.

#42 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,157 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 01:16 PM

I do have Stephanie's email here somewhere...she did say if there was anything I needed...hmmmm

Wonder if she likes forums? :whip:

#43 Bruce Stone

Bruce Stone

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 08:12 PM

Hi!  Great Forum!

I don't think this is a question to ask the directories, but I was wondering what you guys think.  I see at JoeAnt and GoGuides you can either pay $40 to submit and have reviewed or sign on as an editor and get in for free.  The $40 doesn't guarantee anything, but it doesn't say anywhere how much time you should expect to volunteer as an editor. Do you think the time spent is worth the free submission?  Does having editors edit just to get their site into the directory make that directory less relevant?  I also wonder if the directories themselves are worried about those questions.  Just some issues I've been trying to figure out!

darciusrex

I canít speak for others but the sites submitted by new editors at GoGuides.Org are reviewed daily and scrutinized closely. We get primarily very good submissions with a fair editing job. :D

#44 Bruce Stone

Bruce Stone

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 08:18 PM

In the ODP, they're alphabetical within a given category. The Google directory (which is a copy of the ODP) gives the user a choice of displaying directory listings alphabetically or by Google PR.

GoGuides appears to be alphabetical as well.

JoeAnt sorts by editor ratings.

In Gimpsy, the first listings for a category are "featured sites". After that, the order is random and changes each month.

GoGuides is in alphabetical but in three classifications. The rating system is 1-3 people figures we call ppl rating. The 3 ppl sites first in alphabetical order then 2 ppl rating and then 1ppl rating. The quality and content of your site is important to get the best position. :D

#45 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,666 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for clarifying that, Bruce. And welcome to the forum.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!