• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Questions About Directory Submissions?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#16 darciusrex

darciusrex

hard on things

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:44 PM

I guess maybe I'm more pessimistic about the intentions of people out there. While I hate to let a few bad apples ruin it for everyone, the fact that I'm trying to decide if becoming an editor is good or not so I can promote the site I work on makes me think I'm not the only one. I've always considered myslef average, but maybe I'm more dark and evil than I thought omg

About how much time a week do you spend as an editor? I realize it depends on the popularity of the particular category you're involved with.

#17 darciusrex

darciusrex

hard on things

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:46 PM

Sorry!

I know, it's not myslef but myself.
myself, myself, myself!

Now I look selfish!

#18 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:22 PM

I spend a couple of hours a *month*.

BTW, becoming an editor is not an automatic process. You do need to be approved and not everyone is. Most directories are pretty good at omg potential editors they do not want.

#19 darciusrex

darciusrex

hard on things

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 01:36 PM

It's reassuring to see they weed out the potentially good from the potentially bad! It restores my faith in humankind! omg

So, if you do submit your site and apply to be an editor and they decide you're not a good match, do they bump your site submission as well? If they did, it would definitely keep people from applying to be an editor if they weren't serious about it.

#20 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 02:13 PM

I can't say for sure, but I feel certain that a site is evaluated on it's own merits, apart from the actions of the editor.

That being said, if you were really rotten and did some bad things to the directory, you deverve to be delisted!

#21 awall19

awall19

Peanut Butter Lover

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 08:25 PM

The different directories all have their own approval methods, but if you only want to be an editor for self promotion then you may find some struggle. One of the keys to applying is to state a genuine interest in a topic. Stay away from stuff like "my sites the best and the current dumb editor won't list it."

As a quick rundown of the best web directories in my eyes

Open Directory Project (DMOZ) It is free to submit a site and free to become an editor. The biggest tips for becoming an editor are to choose a topic you are informed about and to pick a small category to start off with. DMOZ also has a family of other sites you can edit for such as MusicMoz ChefMoz and the Open Site

Yahoo Directory $299 annual fee for commercial sites. All Yahoo Directory Editors are internal.

Looksmart Cost per click driven, the Looksmart directory has been critisized for its business model. While many people have became angry about the cost per click model, Looksmart still allows people to submit sites to its non comercial directory called Zeal. You have to take a test to be able to become a Zealot or to submit sites, but it is great editorial training.
Zeal
Looksmart currently powers much of the MSN search product (listing only below MSN editor picks and those listings comming from Overture)

GoGuides GoGuides have paid submission and also offer free listing. To receive free submissions you have to Become a GoGuide. GoGuides is an extremely selective directory which typically will only list home pages, and there are only a few hundred GoGuides in the world. GoGuides has a panel which will choose to accept or deny your application. I am the Price Per Click Search Engine GoGuide. :zap: Paid submission is a one time $39.99 fee

JoeANT is a small directory which is broken down into 15 categories. You can pay to have your web site listed or list it free if you Become an editor. As an editor you can submit any site free in your category, and after enough submissions you earn the right to submit to other categories. Paid submission to JoeAnt is a one time $39.99 fee.

Gimpsy is a verb based directory. They offer paid and free submissions to the Gimpsy directory. Either type of submission has a rather quick turnaround. Paid submission is $25.

#22 hbird64

hbird64

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:50 PM

You do need to be approved and not everyone is

JoeAnt.com approves everybody. This doesn't mean that you can add everything. Once approved all your submissions will be checked by level 2 editors or higher.

Hugo

#23 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:37 PM

Hi Hugo! :aloha:

Welcome to the forum! Good to see you.

#24 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 02:39 PM

Welcome, Hugo! :aloha: Thanks for the info.

And thanks Aaron, for that nice list of Important Directories. :D

Jill

#25 hbird64

hbird64

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 06:49 PM

Jill and Scottie,

ofcourse did I join this forum. No other forum has so beautifull ladies as administrators :thumbup:

Hugo

#26 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 08:22 PM

awe...surely, you jest! :thumbup:

Jill

#27 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 08 August 2003 - 08:32 PM

You are too kind, Hugo. :thumbup:

#28 Farhan

Farhan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 04:29 AM

From the new bunch of directories, submission process at Goguides is better. Adding your site to Gimpsy was a bit tedious for me. After locating the appropriate category from the search results, I had to dig to the same category on the site submission page again which made it a longer process than it should have been.

#29 mrdch

mrdch

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 05:13 AM

Hi farhan,

Thanks for the feedback. We will certainly look into making the submission process easier.

One should note, though, that unlike most directories, Gimpsy allows multiple categories / site. In that context, the 'appropriate category' is not as meaningful and important as with other directories.

Moreover, we never penalize site owners for not submitting to the right category. We realize that since Gimpsy has a unique classification method, site owners may not find the right one straight away. Having said that - we do appreciate when they make the effort :)

Cheers

MC

#30 Farhan

Farhan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 06:21 AM

Good points mrdch.

The unique feature of multiple categories justifies the process pretty much. Thanks.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!