• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Questions About Directory Submissions?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 10:49 PM

First of all, a big welcome to Elisabeth (Skiguide) who graciously agreed to help moderate this forum!

Elisabeth and I will be speaking about Submitting to Directories in August at the San Jose SES conference. There will be reps there from some of the major directories. Are there any particular questions you'd be interested in asking these reps? Usually the audience has plenty of questions, but just in case we run it, it would be nice to have some as back up! :rolleyes:

Jill

#2 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 02:51 PM

Jill,

It seems to me that the biggest issue I am seeing (at least on internet forums :rolleyes: ) is that most people do not understand the editorial review process behind most directories. Without positive feedback (whether active or passive), people get frustrated with the process.

I know that GoGuides now offers a (passive) submission checking feature and that's great. It cuts down on repeat submissions when people can see that their submission is still in the list.

Do any of the other directories plan to follow suit?

(By people, I was referring to webmasters or site owners who are submitting sites)

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 02:58 PM

Welcome, Bernard. Nice to see you here! :rolleyes:

That's a very good point, and I think that's what you get when you do a paid submission with the directories that allow it. With DMOZ you're kinda stuck with nothing, or trying the Resource Zone forums for feedback.

Jill

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 04:44 PM

Zeal has a similar feature. You can check to see which editor was the last to look at a submitted site and what they did with it, such as approving it, moving it to a different category, adding it to additional categories, etc.

Even after a site is in the directory, you can get some good information about it there.

#5 unreviewed

unreviewed

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 10:34 AM

I'd like to hear something from Yahoo indicating that web sites listed within their directory "will again" receive a boost within the main Yahoo SERP.

Regardless of the fact that many pay to be included within the directory, they are still human reviewed web sites, and I think a directory listing should in some way factor into ranking.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 11:11 AM

Welcome, unreviewed! Nice to see you here. :beer:

I don't think we'll see that happening at any time. I know that Yahoo wants to be the most relevant search out there, and you simply can't get that by boosting those sites that are willing to pay. The biggest sites, perhaps, but most relevant? Not necessarily.

Jill

#7 unreviewed

unreviewed

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 12:55 PM

Ok... next on my directory wish list, is that Looksmart will add in a "negative keyword" feature similar to Google's.

I do realize that this isn't really a directory question and that MSN would need to be involved, but it is a "very" needed feature.

#8 raven

raven

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:32 PM

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I found out about this forum in the High Rankings® Advisor.

I'm not sure if I follow what Bernard is asking regarding the "submission checking feature" in directories, but Gimpsy will not allow you to re-suggest a site that is already in the database and it will also tell you if your site has been approved or not.

Am I on the right track or way out in left field? :stout:

raven

#9 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 09:01 PM

Raven,

Welcome to the forums. :stout: Yes, I was referring to some sort of feedback mechanism whereby a webmaster can check the status of a previous submission.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 10:36 PM

Welcome, Raven. :aloha:

Glad you stopped by for a visit!

Jill

#11 raven

raven

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 July 2003 - 07:07 AM

Thanks Bernard and Jill! :lmao: I added this forum to my list so I'll be visiting on a daily basis :lol:

raven

#12 mrdch

mrdch

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 01:14 PM

Hello

Without positive feedback (whether active or passive), people get frustrated with the process.

If I may add to Raven's comments, tt Gimpsy we recognised the need for feedback from the onset. That's what we do:

* As soon as we receive a suggestion, an acknowledgment email is sent back, with a unique ID for that suggestion.
* Using that unique ID, the user may check at any time at what stage the suggestion is.
* Should the suggestion be accepted, a confirmation email is immediately. The user may then see all the details of the site, as entered by the Gimpsy editors.
* If the suggestion was declined, the user is also sent an email with a clear explanation of the reasons for the rejection.
* At any time, the user may chat to one of the editors, online and live, to clarify any missing points or ask questions.

We believe that open channels of communication work best to enhance the directory's credibility and the user's enjoyment of the site.

Cheers!

MC

#13 darciusrex

darciusrex

hard on things

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:06 PM

Hi! Great Forum!

I don't think this is a question to ask the directories, but I was wondering what you guys think. I see at JoeAnt and GoGuides you can either pay $40 to submit and have reviewed or sign on as an editor and get in for free. The $40 doesn't guarantee anything, but it doesn't say anywhere how much time you should expect to volunteer as an editor. Do you think the time spent is worth the free submission? Does having editors edit just to get their site into the directory make that directory less relevant? I also wonder if the directories themselves are worried about those questions. Just some issues I've been trying to figure out!

darciusrex

#14 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:14 PM

I think they give you the choice of paying or becoming an editor just to make sure you're serious -- that submitting your site isn't something you're just doing without any effort or caring about whether anyone else needs to put in any effort. They just don't want you wasting their time.

There's nothing wrong in that sense in becoming an editor just to get your own sites in. You're clearly doing so because you care. If you should happen to decide at some point down the road that you want to use your editorial status to help the directory and not just yourself by submitting sites you've found to be valuable even though you have no connection to them, everyone gets a bonus.

#15 Bernard

Bernard

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 August 2003 - 12:18 PM

Do you think the time spent is worth the free submission?

That value judgement will vary from person to person and site to site I would think.

Does having editors edit just to get their site into the directory make that directory less relevant?

IMHO, not if the submissions are good, relevant and conforming to the guidelines.

FWIW, I joined several directories as an editor initially to just add one site. I have since contributed far more than I originally intended to. That you are concerned about the relevancy of a directory is a factor in your favor IMO (should you decide to become an editor).

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.