• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Adwords: Search Phrase Vs. Keyword?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 jbelle

jbelle

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 12:09 PM

I'm currently in the research phase before starting my first AdWords campaign. I'm still working out how to handle broad, phrase, and exact match, and what I'm starting to think about now is the actual search phrase vs. the keyword(s) purchased.

What kind of monitoring do you all do on this, if any? (And what do you use to monitor it?)

For those that have reviewed this information, do you find it useful for improving your CTR by changing copywriting or ROI by refining keywords purchased (or both)?

#2 Haystack

Haystack

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:21 PM

Hi jbelle, a little research can save you a lot of money with Adwords. It's generally better to err to the conservative side at first, then loosen up your listings on terms where you're confident you can capture more relevant traffic through wildcarding your listings.

There are quite a few conversion tracking tools available which can help you determine which terms or Ad Groups are delivering relevant traffic. The CTR within Adwords is also important to pay attention to you because it has a large effect on what you'll pay for traffic over time.

I'd highly recommend Andrew Goodman's report on Adwords (available at www.page-zero.com) to anyone interested in learning from other people's mistakes rather than their own.

As for changing ad copy vs. refining terms:
1. All PPC campaigns are most effective if you cast a large web of terms, so make sure to work hard on keyword research for your site. If your conversion tracking tool shows that a term simply isn't converting, shut it down. But continue working to ad new terms.

2. Creating effective Ad Groups is somwhat trial & error but at a high level, you'll generally receive higher click through rates if you use the search phrases within yoru ads. Be sure to use more than one ad within each Ad Group so you can experiment with what's delivering the highest CTR's.

Hope this helps.

#3 Pets

Pets

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2003 - 09:18 PM

Hi jbelle & Haystack,
I must agree with haystack on all points. I'll also mention -

I go in for [exact] phrases and words. With highly specialized ads.

I do my early testing with a bunch of keyword phrases per ad using a very low maximum price per click. This way my costs are almost nothing for trials. As time goes on I remove or modify the poor performers until I have a good CTR for all the keywords in that ad. Once I get a good CTR, I loosen up a little bit and see what happens. (keeping in mind what worked the best.)

Once I am comfortable with my ad I'll increase my maximum price per click to broaden my coverage and increase my position. At this point I start watching my costs!

Another thing is to set a cost per day you can EASILY afford when starting out. This way you need not worry about that aspect until you know things will work well.

Best of luck! I hope you have as much fun with Adwords as I do. It's like a game sometimes.

-Pets

#4 Vertster

Vertster

Google wristbar installed

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 August 2003 - 12:11 AM

This does not exactly answer your initial questions, but I would emphasize to new advertisers to carefully consider the numbers of your campaign and how much you can afford to spend per sale.

PPC seems to be most useful for high dollar margin products. This presents an often overlooked problem that crops up when a product of a different type qualifies for the same keywords as you.

Example:

"Learning bookkeeping"

-A book that teaches bookkeeping and has a margin of $10
-A correspondance course that teaches bookkeeping and has a margin of $300
-A college degree program that has a margin of $3500

If you are competing for the top three spots against anyone with a significantly higher margin than you, you will probably lose based purely on the economics.

Anyways, I got sidetracked with my example, but I wanted to make a point that you can only spend so much to sell a product or service and still be profitable. Figuring out what that amount is for your product is essential to determining the maximum you can afford to pay per click. You can backwards engineer your ratios and use some assumptions until you have real data to help you figure this out.

Once you have an idea of what you can afford, start looking at keyphrases- there is a good chance that you will not be able to touch some of them. You'll be stuck down in the nosebleed seats where you get very little traffic, regardless of your CTR or ad copy.

Overall, start conservatively, and don't forget that you still have to pay that credit card bill at the end of the month :aloha:

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!