• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Ranking Reporting Software -no New Threads Please!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
339 replies to this topic

#46 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:28 AM

Welcome Tamarah ! :aloha:

I don't use WPG or any other sort of ranking reports personally. I find them generally useless to me since the bottom line to me is the bottom line. ie How much money flows into the old bank account.

That said, the safest way to use something like WPG for a Google report is to run the report on one of the engines that uses Google data. AOL for instance. I still wouldn't go wild with it or you may end up getting your IP blocked, but sending queries somewhere other than Google is still a better option.

#47 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 07:49 AM

Been discussed many, many, many, many times!

Please read those previous threads and articles.

To summarize:

I do use WPG for the clients I still run ranking reports on, but I don't run them at Google, I just look at the AOL results instead, which are generally about the same as Googe.

Also, WPG is no more evil than any other automated rank checker that doesn't use Google's API (even though Google mentions them by name). Any automated program is against G's TOS.

They all have safeguards built in so that you won't be detected, but you're still breaking the TOS even if you don't get caught...right?

Jill

#48 wiltonbiz

wiltonbiz

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:35 AM

Hi:
The comment in Jill's email about automated programs to check ranking worried me also. I have not been using WPG, but rather using an online tool at a website called Top25Web.com. Their tool only checks Google, for one url at a time and multiple keywords. It's a great help to me, but I don't want to use it if it can get me penalized. Is this usage also violating Google's TOS?
Wiltonbiz

#49 Googlewhacked

Googlewhacked

Got geek?

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:36 AM

If you want to check your rankings for Google, there are several web services that you can use:

Digital Point Solutions - www.digitalpoint.com/tools/ (Free!!)
SEO Count - www.seocount.com

For the basic (a.k.a. "raw") ranking info, the DP tool is pretty good. However, if you want to be able to keep a ranking history and get some more advanced reporting & analysis functionality, I would go for SEO Count.

Also, since both of these tools use the Google API (thus requiring a GAPI key), they are in compliance with Googles TOS.

Phil

#50 wiltonbiz

wiltonbiz

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:45 AM

Thanks Phil! I'll check out those services.
Wiltonbiz.

#51 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:19 AM

Welcome Wiltonbiz ! :dance:

#52 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 10:02 AM

Welcome Wiltonbiz! :dance:

If you don't use an API key for that program, then you're probably breaking the TOS. Digital-point uses the API.

Jill

#53 bauguss

bauguss

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 06:04 PM

Ok. I've read through this forum a lot. I got the link for AgentWebRanking from one of the posts. I've tried it out. I think I like it. BUT....

I'm still really afraid that I've interpretted wrong and shouldn't be using it.

Is it ok to use? I just want to be able to run a report on a few sites I manage for a dozen keywords per site. I'm acting as the pre-SEO person for these sites. Just trying to do the best I can for the site before we hire a professional SEO. (I'm the site programmer) I'm a big fan of High Rankings methods. I feel like I could have a good business practice that is helpful to the customer and to the SEO that will eventually get hired.

So I ask here (even though its been talked about before) just to make sure I don't make a future SEO's job a lot harder.

Thanks
Josh Bauguss

#54 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 07:04 PM

Please read the multitude of other threads on this topic.

In a word...

It's okay to use rank checkers that use Google's API (you need an API key). It's against their TOS to use any others. Using others won't necessarily get you caught or banned, but it is still against their TOS (terms of service.)

Going to close this one as there are many others on the same topic.

Jill

#55 ttw

ttw

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:14 AM

I have read that Google will penalize- and even ban -- those URLs that are being "rank checked" using WPG's software. Since I use this software I decided to contact WPG and get their response. They sent a very long and detailed email which I have edited below. I have absolutely no affiliation with WPG but am looking for input from the group on their excerpted comments:

............... snip...........

Google states that they do not like automated queries to be run on their service. They say accessing their service with a browser is fine, but all other tools that automate searching are not. It is also true that Google mentions WebPosition by name. However, we updated WebPosition long ago to emulate a browser as closely as possible to avoid unfair discrimination toward WebPosition users.

You may hear of a Web site being banned by Google, but normally it takes some form of spamming on the person's Web site for that to happen. WebPosition Gold does NOT pass the user's URL to Google when running keyword reports or verifying URLs. In the case of URL verification, it does a query on a keyword phrase and then scans the results for the user's domain name offline.

Therefore, Google's server cannot look at rank checking queries from your IP address and say they belong to a particular Web site which is on another IP and ban it. If it were, we'd be hearing a flood of complaints from our customers about being banned and that is just not happening.

In the case of WebPosition Gold 2, you can use the "Be courteous to the search engines" feature on the Options tab of the Reporter so you do not query their service so quickly.

............... snip...........

Thanks in advance.

Rosemary

#56 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:30 AM

Rosemary, I merged your post into this thread on the same topic.

What you posted is correct. But whether or not Google detects it, it's still against the TOS. Just want to be clear on that. All auto checkers are against the TOS unless they use Google's API for their services.

Jill

#57 Cat

Cat

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 12:29 PM

Hi,

Is there any way to check to see where you are ranking in searches in Google by keyword? Other than putting in the keyword and clicking through the pages of course. I know how to check for links, we're waiting to see if we're accepted by the directories(we may not be because of the affiliate based nature of our site) and at this time have none. We are showing up by the name of our business now but I can't find us anywhere else - I know this is a waiting game but I would just like to see how we are progressing if it's at all possible.

I think I've done everything possible short of PPC and we really can't afford that right now... I've submitted to every directory suggested here - well all the free ones anyway ;) - and I've beefed up the title tags and done the best I could with keywords in the content. I figure all that's left is to sit and wait but knowing exactly how things are coming along would help with the waiting. :lol: Thanks.

Cat

#58 melissa4707

melissa4707

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:25 PM

Hi everyone.

I am a newbie here, don't know much about seo, but am tyring my best to navigate through this. I need to get a report that tells me how my keywords and phrases are moving through all the search engines week by week.

Which one is best?

Also, I think I may be guilty of spamming through my alt tags, I didn't do it intentionally, but the thing I sell has a lot of variations of the specific word
ie: round widget, blue widget, square widget. So if I use the word widget a few times in an alt tag will that get me penalized? My home page uses jpegs for the nav bar for appearance purposes, so I used the alt tags on each jpeg to tell people what was in the specific category they were clicking through to. How many times can my keywords be used in an alt tag without looking weird to the engines?

Thanks

#59 rohgan03

rohgan03

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:32 PM

how my keywords and phrases are moving through all the search engines week by week.

I occasionaly use gorank.com but mostly not bother. Watching search engine too closly is just a waste of time..instead monitor periodically and spend your time on making your site better.

How many times can my keywords be used in an alt tag without looking weird to the engines?

The problem here is not the engines...but the users. If you use it such that it sticks out like sore thumb....it will not create a good impression on prospective buyers and your conversions will fall. Make sure it makes sense to the avg site visitor.

#60 melissa4707

melissa4707

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 03:55 PM

Thank you for your response.

I have to admit I am a bit obsessed with rankings right now, but my competitors are doing some really freaky things and getting away with it (example: multiple domain names redirecting to their site, having multiple similar sites to take up the entire first page of rankings) and it is really affecting my business.

One more thing, and this probably is a really stupid question....why does my site come up much higher in foreign google searches?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!