• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Ranking Reporting Software -no New Threads Please!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
339 replies to this topic

#331 charlieapple

charlieapple

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

HI All,
This is my first post up here. Is there an online tool where you can enter a domain and then enter a keyword or keyword phrase and then it will tell you where that page ranks against that keyword? This to me is fundamental to reviewing your positioning, I don't want to buy any software to do this, but that's all I seem to be lead to when searching for this tool. I'd like to do this without using Google Analytics.

Also I checked an SEO tool on another site which was similar but only told you if you came in the top 100. I searched a term for a site where I had just checked the site's rank on that search term and we were in 3rd position on page 1 and yet the tool came back with "not found" for all the major engines, as if not even in the top 100. How useless is that? And so how can you trust the tools?

Any advice, tips, endorsements of any existing tools would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks all.

#332 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,627 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:18 PM

I searched a term for a site where I had just checked the site's rank on that search term and we were in 3rd position on page 1 and yet the tool came back with "not found" for all the major engines, as if not even in the top 100. How useless is that? And so how can you trust the tools?

You really can't trust the tools. Your example is more extreme than most, but with personalization in place, you're not going to see accurate results. But that doesn't really matter, because rankings aren't a very useful metric. Sure, it's nice to be number 1 (even if you don't get that result when you check on a different computer), but is that ranking bringing you traffic, and is that traffic leading to conversions? That's what matters.

#333 npcs

npcs

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hey Guys,

Right now I am using IBP for my automated reporting software and I am having a TON of issues with reliability. When I did my research it was really the only one I could find on the market with automated monthly reports. Here is what I am looking for with a new software:
  • Automated Sending
  • Extreme Reliability
  • Ability to Brand
  • Easy to Read for Clients

Other than that I am pretty open. Any idea?

Mike

#334 Andy1342

Andy1342

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

How do people out there check rankings automatically for a list of key phrases? I've been using Firefox Rank Checker from seobook, but it seems to be different enough, often enough, from doing a manual check that I can't rely on it. Also, it doesn't return the snippet which Google is choosing to display, and I would really like to see that.

I had thought of getting some low-cost person in another country to check the rankings manually and copy the snippets, but I'm concerned that even if they access the google.co.uk server, they will see different results - does anyone know if they will?

Cheers

Andy

#335 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

You don't need to check rankings. Use Google Analytics. #thatisall

#336 JokerMedia

JokerMedia

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

Hi there. I'm a first time poster. Great forum.

I am learning the ins and outs of SEO and have had some mild success. I'd like to learn how to track how I'm doing by making initial changes and checking against the rankings in Google. I discovered a website called [REMOVED] and it allows you to add in a keyword phrase and your website and it will output your position in Google. It seemed to have worked for awhile, but I'm worried the positions aren't accurate.

Do you have a good resource for this and is it that Google is changing so rapidly that there's no good way to get this information? I'm simply looking for traction and testing what works and what doesn't for my SEO tweaks.

Thanks in advance!

JB

#337 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

If you can read your own server logs, Google is reporting rankings for many referrals now (maybe 2/3 for some sites). Unfortunately, these rankings won't appear in Google Analytics but some other analytics packages may be able to show them. It may also be possible to create a custom report in Google Analytics to shows you the ranking data.

#338 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE(JokerMedia @ Aug 24 2011, 02:34 PM) View Post
I discovered a website called MySearchRanking.com and it allows you to add in a keyword phrase and your website and it will output your position in Google. It seemed to have worked for awhile, but I'm worried the positions aren't accurate.

It is only accurate at the time that you ran the test. A site's ranking is subject to constant change (and not always because of factors within your control). Also, the ranking depends in part on where the searcher is located, and especially on which Google site they are using (Google.com, google.co.uk, google.com.au, etc.)

Google Webmaster Tools gives you an average ranking over a pre-defined period, and can break this down by country or region. But it's still a moving target.

That said, tools like [the one you mentioned] can give a reasonably good idea of the ranking, provided you don't rely on it too heavily.

#339 JokerMedia

JokerMedia

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the help, guys! I'll keep plugging away.

JB

#340 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:18 AM

@JokerMedia

Why Rankings Are a Poor Measure of Success

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!