• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Ranking Reporting Software -no New Threads Please!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
339 replies to this topic

#271 IwannalearnSEO

IwannalearnSEO

HR 2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:52 AM

How do you all keep track of your key phrases?

I used to have a good handle on ours. But as our site has grown, it becomes harder to keep on top of things. We can loose a #1 keyword, and I probably won't notice that for months.

Currently I occasionally print our key phrases (top 500 or so). I study the list, looking for phrases that are bringing lots of traffic but are not ranking well in any search engine... those are the phrases I most want to target.

I also keep a notebook (the old-fashioned way, pen and paper) and whenever I check to see where we're coming up on a key phrase (manually), I write it down. Then I can look back, tracking where we were at in the past, but it is very sporadic.

Is there a computer program that will track key phrases? Note, I am not asking about a program that checks rankings. smile.gif I'm just thinking it is so tedious to look back at my information all on paper. Graphs and reports would be helpful if I didn't have to make them myself.

#272 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:45 AM

I simply use an Excel spreadsheet.

Then whenever I feel the urge to review rankings on the various keywords in the various engines I can record this data in a new column. Though I freely admit I don't do this very often, because to me traffic and conversions are much more important than rankings.

#273 toonevdb

toonevdb

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:33 AM

I use Internet Business Promoter.
It allows you to compare rankings with a previous date.

#274 Cory

Cory

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:17 PM

I have to admit that I use the spreadsheet method, but there has to be some easier way.

#275 Robert C

Robert C

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(IwannalearnSEO @ Dec 27 2007, 02:52 AM) View Post
Is there a computer program that will track key phrases? Note, I am not asking about a program that checks rankings. :) I'm just thinking it is so tedious to look back at my information all on paper. Graphs and reports would be helpful if I didn't have to make them myself.

Have you tried Advance Web Rankings? It's a software program that checks rankings and it also keeps track of them over time so you can do comparisons and reports for yourself or clients. It's extremely helpful and really cuts down on time by automating the process. It will check multiple search engines as well.

#276 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:09 PM

Just to note...

Make 100% sure any automated rank checking software is using an API key. If it doesn't you're breaking the TOS of every search engine out there, which can of course cause you to have issues.

#277 kensavage

kensavage

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:07 PM

no one using Web Position Gold?

#278 sitecreations.com

sitecreations.com

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

QUOTE(kensavage @ Dec 27 2007, 05:07 PM) View Post
no one using Web Position Gold?

I use webposition gold for this purpose (only)

I've got some nicely formatted reports for clients.

Scott

#279 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:52 PM

I like WPG's reports (using the API) but that's about it. One of these days I'm going to make myself the perfect SEO toolkit (by my definition, not the markets...), instead of using 20-30 different little programs, widgets, scripts, spreadsheets and databases that I'm currently using.

#280 Tanya

Tanya

HR 1

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:34 AM

WPG is one of the simplest ways I keep track of keyword rankings and (as Ian mentioned) the reports are nice and pretty for the client smile.gif It sure would be nice if Google brought back the API support... wink1.gif

#281 Mhoram

Mhoram

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Dec 27 2007, 12:09 PM) View Post
Make 100% sure any automated rank checking software is using an API key. If it doesn't you're breaking the TOS of every search engine out there, which can of course cause you to have issues.

And, since Google's API keys aren't available anymore, if you don't already have one, you're out of luck using any of the available packages to track your Google rankings, as far as I can tell.  It's simple enough to write one that uses a scraping method, but as Randy says, that violates the ToS.  I'm guessing that could get your IP address banned if you overdo it, at the least.

#282 IwannalearnSEO

IwannalearnSEO

HR 2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(Tanya @ Dec 28 2007, 02:34 AM) View Post
It sure would be nice if Google brought back the API support... wink1.gif

I was thinking that too!

QUOTE(Mhoram @ Dec 28 2007, 07:53 AM) View Post
And, since Google's API keys aren't available anymore, if you don't already have one, you're out of luck using any of the available packages to track your Google rankings, as far as I can tell. It's simple enough to write one that uses a scraping method, but as Randy says, that violates the ToS. I'm guessing that could get your IP address banned if you overdo it, at the least.

Do you mean the available packages (like Web Position Gold, for instance) are the only thin available to those of us w/o an API key?

I'm assuming that some of these tools are using their own API key... and some aren't. right? If so, how can I figure out if they're using an API key?

ALL I have now is a notebook, and I scan back through looking for the last time I recorded a particuliar key phrase's ranking. (I date it.) It is an extremely primative system. smile.gif

And, yes, I find it MOST helpful to look at our website stats and researching keywords, but I do like to see (and track) how those keywords are doing. I find it very helpful in getting a feel for how the whole thing works. If I'm not watching where my targed keywords (phrases) are coming up, I don't know how well I'm doing with them for future pages. Or if I decide to re-work a page (which I sometimes do if it doesn't come up in the top 10), it is VERY helpful to keep track of if we've gone up or down in the search results.

#283 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:40 PM

Do you mean the available packages (like Web Position Gold, for instance) are the only thin available to those of us w/o an API key?

You can't use any of them without an API license. And I've never seen that any of those tools use the producer's API key. Especially since the old Google API keys limit you to 1,000 queries per day, per key. That wouldn't last very long if they sold many copies of their software kit.

Sorry to burst your bubble Iwanna, but that's the state of things if you're doing automatic rank checking. The vast majority of these automated tools are probably scraping, which is going to trace directly back to your IP number.

#284 wassim

wassim

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hello SEO Experts,

I am learning SEO since a month almost, and I can say I know alot of things now. But when learning through articles and forums, you know that alot of times there are missing informations that you should look elsewhere.
One of the problem about the tutorials I read, was that none of them provided a site where I can check the site's position in google for a specific keyword.

I searched google for such kind of sites that provide this, but they are not accurate at all. I saw a good site that retrieves accurate results but shows only the first 100 results. What if my site isn't in the first 100 result, and I'm in progress of improving its position so I should know the old position and the new one, to know if I'm doing well or not!

It is really time consuming if there is no tool that can generate this, it's not logic that you should go through google page after page until you find your site, and the big problem is if your site is ranked in page 50 for example!

Can you please help me with this issue.

Best regards,
Wassim

#285 mking

mking

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:39 AM

Change the preferences in Google to show 100 results per page. Then use the find tool (ctrl F) and type in something from your site's URL. You should be able to now quickly fly through 1000 results to see where your site stands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.