• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

How do engines know which country a site is from?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
223 replies to this topic

#106 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:17 PM

I was building a plumber's website in the UK - for a New York plumber, who lived and worked in New York - then as long as my optimisation was better than another New York plumber's website that had been built in New York - then my website would get the better search results for New York plumbers. Yes? Then the origin of the plumbing website wouldn't make a difference.

Yes, I believe that is probably true.

#107 send2paul

send2paul

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 04:38 AM

Thanks Jill.

I'm a bit of a staunch believer in optimisation. I think there's far too much chat about other issues that may, or may not, have a greater or lesser effect on a website's SERPS and traffic. (...But then this is a web forum - and it wouldn't be a lot of use without chat would it? smile.gif )

I reckon I would go as far as to say "Good, quality optimisation is king" (Doesn't sound as good as "Good, quality content is king" - but then it's difficult to find a word that rhymes with "optimisation" - and has the correct meaning in the phrase! wink.gif)

#108 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 10:23 AM

Since optimization is all encompassing, you're pretty safe with your belief!

#109 nicknsj

nicknsj

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 01:26 AM

Wont parking a .co.uk on a .com create a duplicate content issue?

#110 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:43 AM

No, parked domains are not duplicate content. It's one site with multiple domain names.

#111 nicknsj

nicknsj

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:43 PM

Thanks Jill,

Just one further question. When you park say a .co.uk on a .com what shows up in the URL bar when the user types in the .co.uk address?

Does it show the .co.uk address or does it revert to the .com address?

The reason I ask this is that in the google search results for the Uk would users see a .co.uk address or a .com because that would have a huge affect on branding. It has been said that you can buy any domain name as long as it has the .co.uk extension but if you buy a domain name that isnt brand focussed and this shows up in the UK results then it will have a negitive affect on branding.

Hope that all makes sense??

Nick

#112 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:12 PM

If you're using customary parking and do nothing else the .co.uk domain would show up in the address bar. You could handle this at the server level and do a redirect to the .com address if that's what you wanted to do.

I'm not sure though that's what you'll want to do, at least right away. I don't deal with international domains much myself, but I would think that it might end up defeating the purpose, unless the .com already comes up in UK searches.

Has anybody tested this sort of potential situation?

#113 nicknsj

nicknsj

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:52 PM

Also....the question earlier in the forum about the ageing delay didnt appear to be answered.

If you purchase a new .co.uk domain and park it on the .com wont the .co.uk be subject to the google ageing delaymaking the procedure pointless anyway??

Nick

#114 incrediblehelp

incrediblehelp

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:03 PM

If you are looking to circumvent the aging delay by parking a domain(s) it wont work.

#115 nicknsj

nicknsj

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE(incrediblehelp @ Apr 24 2006, 11:03 PM)
If you are looking to circumvent the aging delay by parking a domain(s) it wont work.
View Post

Interesting because isn`t the whole purpose of parking say a co.uk domain name on top of a .com so that you show up in UK results. If you have had to purchase a new Uk domain then this approach is somewhat limited as you will not appear on google UK for a number of months anyway due to the Ageing delay.

Am I wrong in assuming this?

Nick

#116 oneofthe3lions

oneofthe3lions

Paz

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

A good point really.. Perhaps the spiders know that is parked so it doesnt affect it as it will just judge it by the existing content on the live site.

#117 Heatherdawn

Heatherdawn

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 02:03 PM

I have a client whose is the US branch of a company whose corp headquarters are in Germany. HQ would like to host the US site in Germany and I need to know how this would effect my client who is currently doing well but hosted in the US. My client has a .com domain, but I understand that hosting in Germany rather than the US may have an adverse reaction on the keyword ranking for searches made from the US using MSN, Google, & Yahoo.

I welcome any comments.

Thanks

#118 theSefirah

theSefirah

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:02 PM

Hi,
this is truly a great thread, i only hope it solves my problem sad.gif i`m really desperate

Ive got a .eu domain and i want to get it listed in "Romanian pages" search results (which is corrently not listed in, my target audience is 100% Romania so not being listed there is killing me ).
i have another blablasUnrelated.ro ( ccTLD ) which i CNAMED to www.my.eu
Im hosting my own site at my home router ( which should give it ro-ip , ip2location confirms ).

Still not being added on "romanian pages results" with the .eu domain, even though it does list it in "romanian language results" sad.gif
the ccTLD is of course listed...

HELP,
Thank you

#119 xxxlhxxx

xxxlhxxx

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:07 PM

This thread is one of the most helpful on this forum I think.. But I have one more question..
I'm from Europe and I want open business site in US.. I should buy .us domain it can help me target for US SEs. How Can I do id if I don't live in USA...any Ideas ??

#120 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:56 PM

A .com would do the trick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your