• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

How do engines know which country a site is from?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
223 replies to this topic

#136 fernimac

fernimac

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 10:31 AM

Thank you. I think I have the complete scene now.

#137 husobj

husobj

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 05:31 AM

Have had a skim through all the previous replies.
Nobody has really mentioned Google Local so I thought I'd throw this question in...

Obviously you can now add your business details to Google Local:

local.google.com
local.google.co.uk
local.google.ca

If you add you business to Google Local with your web address and postal address, is Google clever enough to then use this information to display your listing in the standard Google Search results for your country when you select "pages from the UK" etc?

...hopefully overiding your server IP location and other factors?

Edited by Jill, 21 July 2006 - 07:15 AM.

#138 fernimac

fernimac

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 07:22 AM

husobj,

The problem is the market you target is usually not within the area around your own facilities. And of course, it is the location of the public we target what we really care about. So, if Google geolocalized our web looking at where we are, and not where we want to be relevant, we would get in a lot of trouble. So it does not seem to be a very good idea. At least, not for non local businesses.

#139 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 11:34 AM

The only way to use Google local, as fernimac points out, is to have some sort of local address.

If the likely traffic warrants it, you can accomplish this in multiple locations by renting a mailbox in the target city. But it could get expensive for wide coverage.

Ian

#140 fernimac

fernimac

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:06 AM

Hi,

I have found this tool at ekstreme.com/domain-geolocation/ that seems pretty useful for what we have discussing in this thread.

Fernando.

[Edited live link to conform with [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules]Forum Rules[/url].]

Edited by Randy, 07 August 2006 - 08:44 AM.

#141 Teri

Teri

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:37 AM

Hi,
I'm a new member but have already found the forum really useful and interesting. We're a .com but with content focused on the Uk market - so this thread in particular has been really helpful.

We are currently experiencing problems ranking well in google.co.uk for terms that we used to be in position 1 or 2 in both the international and the local index.
Our site host provider moved dc outside the UK mid year - at which point we set up a parked .co.uk domain on the .com site. This worked well whilst we changed hosts and moved back to UK based hosting. However - now I find that even though we're back in the UK we've virtually disappeared from the .co.uk index although our ranking is still good in google.com. I've read quite a lot lately suggesting this in affecting quite a few businesses - but I'm still wondering if this is an artefact of our recent change of servers back to the UK ... or whether now having the parked .co.uk domain is somehow now working against us in some way. Would appreciate any feedback on this. Thank you.

Teri

#142 noviceboy

noviceboy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:18 PM

Hi this has been a great thread.

What is the effect if any of a domain TLD such as uk.com Does it have any impact on geolocation ?

#143 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 07:31 PM

I would not think that having a uk.com site would affect geolocation as it is not a TLD.

It is a hostname of uk on a .com TLD, then Network Solutions "rent out" subdomains of the hostname.

You can never "own" a uk.com name NetSol will always own the hostname and you can use the sub for as long as you pay them for it.

#144 Arien

Arien

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:59 PM

Hello... well, I've been reading a lot but still have doubts about my specific case. I tried to get some info on another thread before getting to this one, so I hope it's not a problem if a throw out the question here. Our company is plaining to expand its market to Europe. For marketing aspects we need to create a whole different website because the design of the .com website is absolutely US targeted.

Also this new European website it's going to have different languages versions (german, french, spanish, italian and probably more). According to what it's being said here, it is better to use an specifics ccTLD for each targeted country, but this way the SE's are going to take each domain as a different website, isn't it? A mean, this way we would have to start from scratch for each one?

It's there a way we could take advantage of all the work that's been done for the .com website, it's link popularity, page rank and rankings in a situation like this?

#145 WyattEA

WyattEA

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Apr 24 2006, 07:43 AM) View Post
No, parked domains are not duplicate content. It's one site with multiple domain names.

Hi Jill, mcanerin said this in an article on his site:

Answer 2: Park the ccTLD directly on the .com. This associates BOTH domains to the site. Since one is a ccTLD, the site will be considered geolocated. Remember that if you do it this way it may take awhile for the search engine to figure out that this is really the same site, so for a while you will split your link popularity between the 2 domains, until they are merged. This also creates a potential duplication issue during this period.

If you split your link popularity 'for a while', won't this affect your .com site's rankings? I was ranked well for regular google.com traffic and 'pages from Canada' traffic. Then I hid my site's domain ownership with a privatedns thing offered by godaddy with a texas address and my traffic was cut in half because i don't show up for 'pages from canada". I changed it back to showing my full canadian address back in Feb but that hasn't helped me get identified as being a canadian site. I don't want to risk the park option if I could lose even more of the traffic i have left while hoping to get myself reranked as a canadian site.

Plus he also says it COULD create a potential duplication issue.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

James...

Edited by WyattEA, 12 May 2007 - 08:55 PM.

#146 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 05:21 AM

I'm normaly not one to dissagree with Jill, but I have always thought that 2 URLs with 'identical' content WILL cause Duplication issues. But I think we would all like to establish a way to resolve this Multiple Domain Names issue for both marketing and Geographic rasons.

For instance would parking a .com on to a .co.uk result in Google applying a 'Selective' Duplicate filter that returned one set of pages for a UK searcher and another set of pages for a USA located searcher etc. If so we could park domains add infinitum as a Client spread it's marketing targets Globaly.

So hopefully, WyattEA you have opened up some doubt and this might bring some up to date clarification.

#147 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE(piskie)
I'm normaly not one to dissagree with Jill

hysterical.gif

#148 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:31 AM

Well spotted Jill

#149 WyattEA

WyattEA

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:43 AM

uhm, i'm new to the forum...what does jill's reply mean? smile.gif

Question again is could doing the park .ca option possibly affect existing rankings by splitting the link popularity and pr?

James...

#150 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 04:29 PM

Welcome WyattEA ! hi.gif

Jill was replying to piskie, who she quoted. You see, piskie has made something of a sport of disagreeing with Jill, probably just to be contrary. So the statement Jill quoted was a bit funny. wink1.gif

As far as splitting Link Pop, the park by itself is not going to take any link popularity away from the current site. Its links point to it. Where we talk about splitting link pop it's because some links point to one domain name and some point to another. So if they were all pointed to a single location you might have more concentration to that single location, but otherwise one doesn't actually take away link pop from the other.

Eventually the engines will normailly merge the two domains together all on their own, thus giving you a bit of a boost as link popularity is merged. But if you have a .com that's already ranking it shouldn't have any negative effect on that front by parking a .ca on top of it to start getting geo targeted traffic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.