• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Cool Spellchecker

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 01:46 PM

This solution works with MS Word.

If you are like me, you go back and edit your posts constantly to fix spelling, grammatical errors, etc.

One of my programmers gave me a script today that will automatically spell check text that you have written in a text box on a form.

Take the following code:

oShell= new
ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
oShell.SendKeys( "^c" ); // copy
oWord= new ActiveXObject("Word.Application");
oWord.Visible= true;
oWord.Documents.Add();
oWord.Selection.Paste();
oWord.ActiveDocument.CheckSpelling();
oWord.Selection.WholeStory();
oWord.Selection.Copy();
oWord.ActiveDocument.Close(0);
oWord.Quit();
var nRet= oShell.Popup(
"Apply changes?\nClick OK to replace all selected text.",
"Spell Check Complete",
33 );
if ( nRet == 1 ) {
oShell.SendKeys( "^v" ); // paste
}

1. copy to notepad
2. save as spellcheck.js in the c:temp directory
3. open IE
4. open windows explorer, browse to the c:temp directory
5. click and drag the spellcheck.js file into your links on the IE browser.

The next time you are composing a message select all of the mesage in the text box, then copy.
Click the spellcheck link on your browser.
Word will automatically open, spellcheck, select replace text, and the text you have written will automatically change and word will close.

very cool.

The Karcher Group - Web Design & Internet Marketing
think - web - marketing

Edited by Matt B, 09 August 2003 - 08:54 PM.

#2 robwatts

robwatts

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 02:07 PM

:rolleyes: very cool indeed.

Big up respect to the author.

#3 HorseCove

HorseCove

Horses are good for the soul.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Matt and thanks to your programmer. Thanks Scottie for re-posting it.

I had been copying my text and then dropping it into Word, checking the spelling, then dropping it into Notepad (because sometimes Word adds wierd characters), and then dropping the text from Notepad back into the forum. Way too many steps.

I guess I could also learn to spell.... :rolleyes:

#4 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 02:24 PM

I guess I could also learn to spell.... 

LOL- nah... not as much fun.

#5 Matt B

Matt B

The modem is the message.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 02:49 PM

Thanks, Scottie - It's funny because I had to reformat my computer a few months ago and forgot where I put the code for the spellcheck.

Thanks for digging that up!

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 02:51 PM

Just tried that solution, and it definitely works. But it seems that it has to open up your Word first, is that correct? Too slow for me! (Not to mention that I don't use IE anyway, so it wouldn't work.) But definitely a cool solution, and a simple one at that. :tooth:

Jill

#7 Matt B

Matt B

The modem is the message.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 02:53 PM

yes - it opens Word and flashies thru the spellcheck function - it really just saves a coiuple of clicks - that's about all, but handy anyways. . .

While I'm thinking about it, Craig (Think Web) has a few other JS browser plug-ins he found for page weight, Google search, and a couple other nifty tricks - I'll have him post a few. The page weight is especially handy to have.

#8 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 12:22 AM

Just tried that solution, and it definitely works. But it seems that it has to open up your Word first, is that correct?  Too slow for me!  (Not to mention that I don't use IE anyway, so it wouldn't work.)  But definitely a cool solution, and a simple one at that.   :tooth:

Jill

This is a joke so everyone please relax, but I didn't think that Jill and I had anything in common, but low and behold neither of us uses EI. BTW Jill what do you use? I use the latest version of Netscape 7.1. However the real reason I use Netscape is I think their email client rocks. I tried using Outlook Express once and after a couple of days just could not stand it anymore.

Now to spell checkers. This is great forum software. has anybody asked the authors if the are considering adding a spell checker?

What I am doing in the interim is using using GuruNet -- previously Atomica -- to check words that I am in doubt about, but I still miss some and it will only check one word at a time. A built in spell checker would certainly be better. Of course I would have to teach it our funny Canadian spelling.

#9 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 12:30 AM

I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if someone could tell my why this line is necessary:

oWord.Visible= true;

I once had to write a little VB app that would take all the formatting out of a .xls file, save it as a comma-separated .txt and then close the .xls without saving the changes. The whole thing ran in the background, apart from a little modal window that would just quickly indicate that it was running.

Would this not work if oWord.Visible were set to false?

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 09:39 AM

This is a joke so everyone please relax, but I didn't think that Jill and I had anything in common, but low and behold neither of us uses EI. BTW Jill what do you use?

I use a browser called ClickGarden. It allows you to make ads dissapear, not accept cookies, and not have to see any pop ups. It does all sorts of other cool things too.

It uses some of the IE stuff as you have to have IE installed to use it, but I can't use stuff like the Google Toolbar with it. Which is actually a blessing in disguise!

Not long after I started using ClickGarden, I think they may have been bought out by another company as I haven't heard anything from them since. (I was given a free copy to evaluate. It's the only thing that got me to stop using Netscape 4.7!)

Jill

#11 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 09:51 AM

I'd never heard of ClickGarden, so I looked it up. You can find it at http://www.info-gala...om/clickgarden/

It looks like a pretty powerful tool, but I'm afraid for those of us who aren't Jill the free version is only good for 15 days. After that, it costs 50 USD.

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 09:58 AM

From what I understand, the Mozilla browser has many similar functions such as the tabbed windows. I LOVE the tabbed windows. That's probably one of the best things about CG.

Jill

#13 compar

compar

Just Purrfect

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 11:13 AM

From what I understand, the Mozilla browser has many similar functions such as the tabbed windows.  I LOVE the tabbed windows.  That's probably one of the best things about CG.

Jill

Yes tabbed windows are great. Netscape 7.0 has them and they make the job of having several web pages open and moving quickly between them an absolute breeze.

Does anyone else use Netscape mail. I think it is the best. The latest version has a junk mail feature and the ability to label and color code email into categories like 'later', 'important', 'personal' etc. I also think the filter and search features are excellent. And so that we don't lose the thread it has a very good spell checker.

Edited by compar, 15 August 2003 - 05:04 AM.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!