• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Lessons In Failure - The Top 10 Ways To Ensure You

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 robertclough

robertclough

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 01:30 PM

http://www.marketlea...l_report_45.htm

Snippet:
Take these lessons in failure for what they are, a chance to avoid the mistakes of other marketers and improve your own success in the search engines.

#2 dragonlady7

dragonlady7

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 09:26 AM

That's pretty funny. And true.
My boss started in on that a little bit with me-- I said "I'm researching how to ensure that we show up well in Google and MSN and others." He said "ooh, learning all the good tricks?" and started chortling evilly. "No," I said, "I actually found out how to simply make better pages so they'll come up higher." "Isn't it faster if we cheat?" he asked, a bit deflated. "No," I said, "not really." I should send him the link to this article but he's probably forgotten all about it. Not that he's dishonest, just that I guess a lot of people like to feel like they're putting one over on the search engines, like that's some kind of a goal unto itself.
It's not.
Neither is putting one over on your potential customers. I've had to do extensive work to make sure that none of the stuff we're selling is vaporware. "Does it *really* do that?" "Well... we planned that it would." "But *does* it?" Man, it's been like pulling teeth. And everyone's astonished that the marketing department is so keen to find out what we're *actually* selling...
I no longer wonder why the marketing and seo businesses have such bad reps, if this is accepted as commonplace by so many people. Argh.
Anyhow, it's nice to read a nice, somewhat funny, concise summary of exactly what not to do.

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!