• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Permanent 301 Redirect

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
320 replies to this topic

#241 jbinbi

jbinbi

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

I've searched through this forum, but can't find the answer to my question. If its in here, my apologies, pls direct me to the thread...

I am hosted by Valueweb, on a server with Frontpage extensions with .htm pages.

I recently redid many of my pages, changing content, but more importantly, directory structure. Basically, I re did the web site, but left all the old pages.

So I have about 50 different pages that used to be 'www.mydomain.com/productx.htm' to

'www.mydomain.com/productcategory/manufacturer/productx.htm'

I don't want to get rid of the original pages, however, I don't want visitors to get to them since they have outdated info, and don't have the new formatting of the new pages.

I have read how I would do this if I was hosted with a unix variant host, or with IIS if I had .asp pages, but I have .htm pages.

I don't think I should re direct with a meta statement, but rather a 301.

How would I do this, not for a site change, but rather for each one of old pages?

Thanks,
Scott

#242 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,989 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:43 PM

Welcome jbinbi! bye1.gif

I have read how I would do this if I was hosted with a unix variant host, or with IIS if I had .asp pages, but I have .htm pages.

It doesn't matter that your pages are .htm. It matters which type of server you're on as to how you should do it.

Do you have access to an .htaccess file?

#243 Dex

Dex

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:49 AM

I'm finding this particular thread to be really useful and have closely read every single post, and although I may not have understood every part, the meticulous explanations from Randy have gone a heck of a long way to helping. goodjob.gif

It would be a shame to lose it somehow ;-( Is there anyway that this thread can be 'pinned' so that there's never any danger of losing any of the info?

Dex.

#244 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,039 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:58 AM

Is there anyway that this thread can be 'pinned' so that there's never any danger of losing any of the info?

It's a good point thumbup1.gif and one we'd probably implement if it wasn't already biggrin.gif

#245 Dex

Dex

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:06 AM

Ah well, in that case don't worry about it appl.gif

#246 webvivre

webvivre

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:06 AM

I have added this line to .htaccess on unix server on www.xxxx.co.uk

CODE
Redirect 301 / http://www.xxxx.co.uk

I get this error message:

The page isn't redirecting properly

I am trying to implement xxxx.co.uk redirecting to www.xxxx.co.uk

Any ideas please...

#247 greentea

greentea

HR 2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:02 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I think your code will result in indefinite looping because www.xxxx.co.uk is being redirected to www.xxxx.co.uk, i.e. itself. Hence, you will get an error.

#248 webvivre

webvivre

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:14 PM

I think you are right - I am now using

CODE
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yourdomain\.com
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.yourdomain.com/$1 [R=permanent,L]

and the Bruce Clay tool at:
http://www.bruceclay...ps/techtips.htm

Confirms it is working

#249 alexz

alexz

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:07 AM

But I dont understand how that works in iss? We are running an iss server, and did like you wrote, but when i go to the site its just blank?

I righted clicked on the domain, choose properties and then changed the local directory to redirect to url. Whats wrong??

#250 suthra

suthra

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:54 AM

We had a site that had a content section.,
site.com/content which had several pages, now we found a bug in the script and have stopped the section and deleted the old pages.

Now how do i do a 301 redirect for all the old pages (site.com/content/page1/html and site.com/content/page/page2.html etc...)to
site.com/content ?.

Google sends several visitors to the old pages which now do not exist.,

Pls help

Sarathy.s smile.gif

#251 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:29 AM

We're gonna need a few more details suthra. Regex is a very exacting thing, so we need to be exact in how we implement it.

The way I read the above it looks like you're simply trying to remove a subdirectory? I'm not sure on this so I'm asking.

In other words, were the old urls site.com/content/pagex/pagex.html or were they site.com/content/pagex/pagex/html ? Only one character is different, but it's an important distinction.

Second, so you want all of those pages to go to a default page locate at site.com/content/ or is there going to be something after that. Maybe something like site.com/content/pagex.html

(I'm assuming in all of this that pagex is changing constantly too. Which might be a bad assumption to make.)

If I'm reading things right and guessing correctly, I'm betting you want site.com/content/pagex/pagex.html to end up somewhere like site.com/content/pagex.html. Is this correct?

If it is, the following (untested) should get you there:

CODE
RewriteRule ^site\.com/content/(.*)/(.*)\.html$ http://www.site.com/content/$2.html

There are lots of if's and guesses in the above though, so more details would definitely be helpful.

#252 suthra

suthra

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:20 AM

Hi Randy, You Are correct, There are several subfolders inside mysite.com/content . it comes like this.,
mysite.com/content/content-1/page.html, mysite.com/content/content-2/page2.html and now none of these pages exisit and google sends us huge visitors to these pages.
We just want all these pages to redirect to a single page
mysite.com/content/ smile.gif

Thanks a lot randy, i will try that code smile.gif

#253 AlDugan

AlDugan

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:45 PM

Holy Mega Thread Batman! batman.gif

Wow, there's a lot of great info here. Ok, I'll be honest I didn't read every single post but I've been searching for a while...

I'm trying to 301 redirect any non www instance of a page to its www version. So for example:
  • domain.com/page1.aspx would 301 to www.domain.com/page1.aspx
  • domain.com/page2.aspx would 301 to www.domain.com/page2.aspx
  • domain.com/page3.aspx would 301 to www.domain.com/page3.aspx
I have done this before on a Coldfusion site and it was really pretty simple, just a couple lines of code at the top of every page did the trick. However, I am looking for an IIS 5 or ASP.NET solution. Does one exist? I've been able to redirect our homepage from its non www version to its www version (well not really me, the .net programmer here did but I found the way to do it here on this forum a while back. Anyway I;m trailing off...) but is this possible on every individual page?

#254 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,989 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:05 PM

Not sure, but I seem to remember that we have a separate redirect thread for IIS...

#255 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,039 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

http://www.highranki...01

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the