• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Big City Vs Small Satalite City - Which Should I Reference?

Best Answer torka , 17 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

Of course you can put anything you like in your title tags.

If I had a business in Hoboken, I could say it was a "New York metro area" business with no fear of penalty from anybody, because it's true -- it is a business located in the vicinity of New York City. And those two locations aren't even in the same state. Why would your situation be any different?

Please get over the idea that search engines are some sort of evil monsters lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce with penalties on innocent websites for the slightest unintentional infraction of their (unwritten) rules. They are not. You actually have to work kinda hard to get penalized. If you're focused on doing what's best for your human visitors instead of trying to manipulate the search results, you generally don't have much to worry about.

If you think that most people will identify you and look for you using the name of the larger city and not the smaller suburb where you are actually located, by all means mention the larger city on your pages. Mention it in your title tags, mention it in the text on the page, put it in your footer, add it to a list of service areas, whatever is appropriate. (Just to be clear, I'm not necessarily saying you should do all these things; I'm just listing possibilities. You should include what ever is appropriate, where ever it is appropriate for your human visitors. The search engines will sort things out for themselves.)

--Torka :oldfogey:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MSMedCon

MSMedCon

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:25 AM

I am getting mixed answers on this question, no one I have asked is really "sure"

Here is the issue.

My company is 10 minutes outside of a major city, a satalite city that orbits around the larger city.

My address is {Satalite City1}

My audience would most likely type in {major city} when searching local.

Could/Should I update all of my directories/listings to say {Major city}?? I've done a test on Google Maps, and even if i list it as {Major City} the maps still find us due to the zip code, so directions wouldn't be an issue. I guess my question is more on ethics, and stability moving forward.

(am I going to get penalized and have to update everything in a year?)

Is this a common practice? Anyone have an experience to share or a best practice?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

My company is 10 minutes outside of a major city,

Walking? By car? Helicopter?

And why does it make a difference?

Unless of course you happen to own a library, art gallery, museum, hairdressers, or some other physical premises that requires a personal visit, and if that is the case ... why would you not already be stating your exact location on such as any "directory" listing or other adverts for your business.

Also, ... ... why on earth would you think there would be a "penalty" for telling people where you are located??

Finally, ... ... 'local' marketing  needs to be done 'locally' not by pinning your hopes on a search engine that may or may not even list your URLs.

#3 MSMedCon

MSMedCon

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:18 PM

To answer you directly, and hopefully ad more specificity.

1) I don't care how they get here, Google Maps still gets them here whether I reference Major or Satalite City. My question was will my website get penalized for having a zip code that doesn't match the exact city name.

2) It is not a service that they actually have to visit the office for, it's a professional service that does not require meeting in person. But it does require that we show up in {Major City} Searches.

3) By Local Marketing, we are marketing to the greater Metropolitan area, our {Satalite City} - to someone 20 minutes outside of the {Major City} they would never search for that smaller term. 

I did some research and I found many Professional Service Companies that reference thier nearest Major City, and not the smaller satalite city they are physically located. This isn't a standard practice, so that is why I'm asking if I should or should not, if anyone has any experience with this, and also if I will get penalized.

Any replies are welcome - Thank you Moderator for your quick response.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

But it does require that we show up in {Major City} Searches.

Why????

Stop thinking that search engines MATTER, as I have said in several recent posts that YOU just need to get on with YOUR business and let search engines look after theirs.

If you are thinking that everything is about Google rankings, then your business IS going to fail!

#5 MSMedCon

MSMedCon

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:59 PM

Maybe I am confused, I searched for an SEO forum, and this came up first. Is this the wrong place to ask SEO related questions?

I am trying to Rank up in Google, I really am, I'm the "Web Guy" here so ... yea my compensation is tied to doing well in SEO. (yahoo and bing included).

Did I post this in the wrong section?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:54 PM

Where is it that you want to reference the major city? Obviously your address is your address, so I'm not clear on where you're asking about putting it.

If you mean should you mention the major city within the content of the website, I'd definitely say yes to that.

• MSMedCon likes this

#7 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:20 AM

Don't stick the major city name in the business name, unless that's actually part of the name of the business.

• MSMedCon likes this

#8 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:31 AM

Just as an aside, I like the idea that your city "orbits around the larger city". It must make commuting very interesting.

Mike

• torka, chrishirst and MSMedCon like this

#9 MSMedCon

MSMedCon

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:41 AM

To be more specific

Pittsburgh is the big city

Carnegie is a smaller city Just outside of the city.

None of our prospects will look up carnegie, and are more likely to search on the term Pittsburgh.

So I can put "Company Name | About | PIttsburgh" in the title tags, and if my Address matches that - I believe I would get better results for my search term "Professional Services Pittsburgh"

Looking for other's expertise before I start making changes, incase it's a bad idea, maybe someone else tried the same thing and could share their experience?

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:35 AM

Maybe I am confused, I searched for an SEO forum, and this came up first. Is this the wrong place to ask SEO related questions?

I am trying to Rank up in Google, I really am, I'm the "Web Guy" here so ... yea my compensation is tied to doing well in SEO. (yahoo and bing included).

Did I post this in the wrong section?

Not at all, it's simply that your idea of SEO is the last century view that SEO is ALL about search engines and nothing more than search engines.

For 99% of websites, search engines are NOT going to be magic 'bringer of glad tidings', is YOUR website going to be so awesome it will be in that other 1%?

#11 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:48 PM   Best Answer

Of course you can put anything you like in your title tags.

If I had a business in Hoboken, I could say it was a "New York metro area" business with no fear of penalty from anybody, because it's true -- it is a business located in the vicinity of New York City. And those two locations aren't even in the same state. Why would your situation be any different?

Please get over the idea that search engines are some sort of evil monsters lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce with penalties on innocent websites for the slightest unintentional infraction of their (unwritten) rules. They are not. You actually have to work kinda hard to get penalized. If you're focused on doing what's best for your human visitors instead of trying to manipulate the search results, you generally don't have much to worry about.

If you think that most people will identify you and look for you using the name of the larger city and not the smaller suburb where you are actually located, by all means mention the larger city on your pages. Mention it in your title tags, mention it in the text on the page, put it in your footer, add it to a list of service areas, whatever is appropriate. (Just to be clear, I'm not necessarily saying you should do all these things; I'm just listing possibilities. You should include what ever is appropriate, where ever it is appropriate for your human visitors. The search engines will sort things out for themselves.)

--Torka :oldfogey:

#12 MSMedCon

MSMedCon

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:59 PM

That is good advice.

Thank you thank you! I will keep our address True, and mention the Major City in my pages and titles.

Consider this closed. Thank you everyone for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.