• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is It Good Practice To Have The Questions/answers On Your Faq Page Use

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 olimits7

olimits7

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:29 AM

I'm in the process of updating my website and currently I have each question within my FAQ page load on it's own page this way I can setup the meta description/keywords tags properly for each question. 

So for example, I would have my question be setup as the <title> tag on the page, the question answer would be the <meta description> on the page, and I would save different keywords for this question in admin that would be saved as the <meta keywords> tags.

However, in my new website design all the questions are listed on one HTML page where it just expand/collapses the different question/answers; so I'm not able to setup each question with their own meta description/keywords tags.

Is it good practice to have the questions on your FAQ page use their own meta tags for SEO?

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

Keywords meta = useless. Ignore. Srsly. Ignore.

As to the title and description, I'd think it would be equally useful to have a title and description that simply explain the page contains the answers to frequently asked questions, perhaps with a couple of sample topic areas (not the specific questions and answers).

The page will have a chance to rank for specific search phrases that appear within the text of the questions and answers without those phrases being in the title and description. That's kinda the point of a FAQ page is that it gives you more chances to rank for long-tail phrases that people might use in search when they're higher in the sales funnel -- when they're just looking for answers to questions. Get them to the FAQ page and use internal linking to guide them on to more "sales oriented" pages.

Thing is, if you're truly targeting the long-tail phrases that you should be on a FAQ page, you usually don't have to work that hard to get visibility for those phrases. For me, repeating the question as the title and the answer as the meta description is overkill. Smacks of trying a little too hard, if you know what I mean. I suspect in the long run there's a chance that might hurt you more than it helps.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

• Jill likes this

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:43 AM

Do you ever spend time perusing the FAQ pages on the sites that you vist yourself? If so, which of these options do you prefer:

(i) Sites where you can immediately see the answers all in one place, with each answer being directly below the question to which it relates? or

(ii) Sites where you have to click on each question, wait for it to open the answer in a new page, then having read the answer go back to the question page before you can see the next answer?

Now, having answered the above question, try to find a few people who are typical of those who visit your site. Ask them the same question.

With luck, you will now have a consensus of the better approach to take. The next step is to read carefully the advice that Torka gave above, while keeping in mind that SEO is not the only factor in your design. Make your final decistion with SEO in mind, but with the needs and preferences of your users foremost.

Mike

P.S. For what it's worth, I definitely prefer (i). But I'm not necessarily typical of your visitors.

• torka likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.