• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Website Push Notifications - Best Use Cases?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AnandKansal

AnandKansal

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:45 PM

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to start a discussion in this group around website push notifications and what are the best use cases for this technology.

Disclosure: We've just launched a tool, REMOVED, that lets websites send push notifications. It's very new and we wanted to take feedback from knowledgeable members of this group on what they think are the approriate cases in which a website push notifications should be preferred over email, or other channels of communication.

Some tidbits of information we've received from our customers so far: website push notifications are most useful to send information regarding time-bound discounts (such as offers which are expiring in a couple of hours or a couple of days). It is also very useful to send personalised updates and alerts (where the object of the communication is just to provide some important information and an email could be overkill).

I'm curious to know: what are your thoughts on website push notifications? How do you see them evolve and change the online space? And what situations and cases are most appropriate for using website push notifcations as compared to, say, emails or SMS or Facebook/Twitter messages.

Would love to get everyone's thoughts on this.

Anand Kansal

Edited by chrishirst, 04 December 2015 - 08:42 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

I'm curious to know: what are your thoughts on website push notifications? 

Annoying and intrusive!

How do you see them evolve and change the online space? 

Hopefully they will go extinct and thus improve "the online space".

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:56 AM

I guess push notifications are acceptable if the user has positively opted in to receive them. Perosnally, I wouldn't do so. I already face enough interruptions in my daily life, thanks.

Mike

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

If you're not using email for these notifications, what communications channel are you using?

I'll chime in to agree with Mike -- if the user has opted in to receive them, then you know they're interested and it's OK to send. If I started getting something like this without having asked for it, that would be more than a bit creepy. I mean, I know we give contact information to websites when we make a purchase or sign up for a newsletter or whatever, but generally that's an email address. If you're not using email, then you're using some other channel (text?) which would require using some other identification (cell number?) that I might not have given you, or not knowingly given you thinking I'd receive marketing messages through that channel.

I think it also depends on the privacy policy in place with the company and how they've previously stated they would use the customers' contact information. For instance, if I had given a company my cell number because they said they'd only use it to contact me regarding the order I was just then placing, but then on down the line, out of the blue, I started getting texts from them about upcoming sales, I'd consider that a violation of my trust.

Let me make it clear, I am not against push notifications when the customer knows what they're getting in to. I have myself signed up to receive text notifications from local businesses (for example, a local restaurant that texts out their "tapas night" specials every Wednesday).

It just needs to be very clear up front what use you're going to make of my contact information, how you're going to be contacting me, how often, for what purpose, etc. -- and there needs to be an easy, well-publicized method of stopping it if I decide I don't want the notifications any more.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

Push notifications quickly become annoying and obstructive clutter.  As people sign up for more and more notifications they pay less and less attention to old notifications.

I would emphasize the quality of the content in the notifications and the distinctiveness of the notifications.  I would also make it very hard for someone to abuse the system by sending out a lot of notifications.

#6 AnandKansal

AnandKansal

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

Hey guys, some very interesting comments here. Website push notifications only work if the user has explicitly given his permission. Once you arrive on a website, an opt-in box which asks you whether you want to allow push notifications for this website. Only if you agree, only then will you receive the push notifications. Even after that, opting-out is a one-step process. Thus, unlike email (where anyone with your email address can spam you), control is actuallu in the hands of the user in case of web push notifications.

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:20 AM

In that case, I wouldn't have any problem with it.  If it's something interesting enough, I might sign up for notifications myself. :)

--Torka :oldfogey:

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

The thing is, ... ...

HOW would you know of a "push notification" regarding whatever ... until you actually revisit the site in question?

And if you have to go back to the site to get 'notified' ... ... What IS the point of having them??

#9 AnandKansal

AnandKansal

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

The thing is, ... ...

HOW would you know of a "push notification" regarding whatever ... until you actually revisit the site in question?

And if you have to go back to the site to get 'notified' ... ... What IS the point of having them??

The best thing about push notifications is that they arrive in real-time i.e. even if the website is closed. Let's say I went to xyz.com and allowed their push notifications for my browser. The next time xyz.com decides to send a push notification, it will arrive on my browser EVEN IF I AM NOT ON XYZ.COM AT THAT POINT OF TIME.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:09 AM

The best thing about push notifications is that they arrive in real-time i.e. even if the website is closed

Just hold on there a minute, .... .... Now THAT is technically impossible WITHOUT the site installing a "helper" device such as a 'plugin' or 'toolbar' on that particular browser.

HTTP: is a 'disconnected protocol', which means that once a browser has received all the information from a given URL it ceases to communicate with the server, UNTIL the user makes a new request, so in a clean browser a page cannot 'push' anything. Java or javascript (AJAX) can be used to 'poll' the URL periodically to fetch updated information, but this is always a 'PULL' operation, and even then ... If the browser is NOT actually on that URL, either in an inactive tab or window at the time, NOTHING is "pushed".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.