• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Search Name Same As Domain

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eos23

Eos23

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:13 AM

Hi everyone,

I got a question and i hope someone would help me or give me some advice.

I got the domain name www.example.com let's say and when i search in google for the word "example" it doesn't show at all... i went up to the 9 page of google and nothing.

In rest if i search for example +some keyword it shows... but why not for "example" it's the same name as the domain name.

I'm a bit confuse.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:34 AM

Because the domain name is not necessarily a strong factor for ranking all on its own. In fact, depending on the word in the domain name, if it is considered a "keyword exact match" domain name (as opposed to a brand name) it may even hurt you in search visibility.

The domain name term on its own is likely more competitive than longer phrases ("example" + another keyword), which means it's going to be harder to achieve visibility for that search term. Simply having that term as your domain name is not going to get the job done.

Compared to the pages that do show for "example," how old is your site? Compared to the sites those pages live on, how many pages do they have, compared to yours? How much content do they contain compared to yours?

Compared to the pages that show for "example," how does the quality of the content of your home page compare? Assuming these other pages have been online longer than yours, would an objective third-party observer consider your content to be at least two or three times better than the others? Is it more interesting, better written, more useful?

What sort of external links do you have pointing to the pages of your site? Do they all point to the home page, or are link targets spread throughout the pages of your site? Are the external links primarily (or all) links you "built" yourself(1) or are a good percentage of them earned editorial links(2)?

--Torka :oldfogey:

(1) Directory listings, blog post comment links, forum post or sig file links, classified ad listings, social media posts, social bookmarking sites, "web 2.0", article repositories, mass guest posting on low-quality blogs, etc.

(2) Links that other webmasters have given you because they really like what you offer.

• Jill likes this

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:29 PM

And if you want it direct from "the horses mouth", here is the "weather report 'heads up' from Matt Cutts on Twitter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.