• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Url Structure And Multiple Sites

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 neilhenderson

neilhenderson

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:49 AM

hi,

i am new to this site but had an interesting question ( i hope). i have the domain word1word2word3.co.uk and i am going to target phrases such as word1 word2 word3, word1 word2 word3, word1 word2 word4 etc etc.

the site will be set up so there is a list page for each category (only 12 in each) and you can click though to view individual properties.

i am then hoping to launch another site as i have alsoremoved.co.uk and will use the same structure but unique content:

i have 3 questions:

- is it a good idea to have the two sites.  someone has mentioned having one but its a manageable amount of content and as the domains are a very close fit for the target keywords i thought it would give me a headstart (though appreciate lot more to do!)

- assuming i have 2 seperate sites are there any issues for them having same domain owner, structure, hosting but different content - any issues with duplication?

- lastly for the category pages which structure is best (in example below targetting phrase ALL removed

thanks and any help much appreciated icon_smile.gif
neil

Edited by chrishirst, 01 December 2015 - 09:15 AM.

• Rodneytus likes this

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

You are wasting your time AND your money, because NONE of that will help in any way shape or form, in fact ... ... it is more likely to hamper your efforts to get search engine traffic.

As I say so very often, just forget about chasing search 'rankings' and concentrate on getting converting traffic that is NOT from Google or Yahoo, You do what you do and just let them do what they do and one day search engines  will catch up with YOU.

Edited by chrishirst, 01 December 2015 - 09:24 AM.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:47 PM

You might want to look some recent articles on "exact match domains" to find out why so-called "keyword-rich" domain names are generally a bad idea.

You may also want to look up recent articles on Google's Hummingbird update to find out why a laser-focus on a specific keyword phrase for each page (without also taking into account synonyms and near matches) is also generally a bad idea. Or at least a seriously outdated one.

Chris is right: structure your site to be useful to people. Focus on writing content that people will want to read (or at least skim), that is organized in a way to make it as easy for them to find what they're looking for, and that will do the best job possible of converting them. Putting your primary focus on search engines and rankings (rather than on people and conversions) is a sure way to be disappointed.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

#4 neilhenderson

neilhenderson

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys and much appreciated. I take your points and my key focus will be great content (have heaps of articles and I'm a profession al photographer with drone so hoping lits of great footage to drive interest).
However I need a domain and these ones are free, seem relevant and are easy to remember - can they really do more harm than good and should I go for 1 or 2 sites ? Thanks neil

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:58 AM

Unless the two sites are targeting radically different audiences who would each be offended or completely confused to find themselves on a site that also targeted the other group, I'd stick with one site. No point in spreading your marketing efforts across two sites when you can instead concentrate your time and resources on making the one the absolute best it can be.

Especially if you're trying to compete against any sort of established competition, you won't make it by simply being "as good as" they are. You have to be significantly better to unseat them. The concept that's been getting some airplay around here lately is that you should aim to be 10 times better. It's hard-to-impossible for most of us to create and maintain one website that's consistently 10x better than the competition. Doing it at the same time for two sites would be twice as hard.

So, stick with one.

A "keyworded" domain will not necessarily be the kiss of death, but it does give you one more hurdle you might potentially have to overcome, convincing Google that yours is not yet another spam site built to try to "cash in" on searches for those keywords. Depending on the specific words involved, you're also looking at something that could be harder to brand and hard-to-impossible to trademark (should that ever become a concern). Just a few things to keep in mind.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#6 neilhenderson

neilhenderson

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:35 AM

thanks torka - i genuinely appreciate the feedback - as i am not integrating a complicated search database it would be esaier to sepeate them so users can get to their info quicker (so rather than choosing location then hotels its just straight to hotels).  if the first site is successful enough i may not even do the 2nd region and know a lot of success is down to a niche so will focus on one region first.

the competition is stiff if i start being more geneic (family holidays for removed removed uk) but if i stick to devon i think my chances of success and expertise are better - its where i live!

thanks for your help

Edited by chrishirst, 04 December 2015 - 08:23 AM.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:29 AM

so rather than choosing location then hotels its just straight to hotels

Do both.  Just as long as each route ends up on the same URL, there will be NO content duplication.
By the way, I keep removing 'key' words so you are not competing with this thread for results from search.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.