• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Should I Avoid Using Keywords On A Page That Are Foussed On Another Pa

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nate64

Nate64

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:42 AM

Hi,

I'll briefly explain my dillema....

I've been working on a site and the ranking have been going up nicely. I've set up the Homepage to focus a specific term (I won't add it here to avoid being kicked off the forum). I've set up other pages to focus on other terms. So the issue I've just realised is that my homepage is ranking for the terms my other pages are set up for. It's not optimised for those terms but it just happens to be that some of the words are used in the homepage content.

Should I avoid using any of the words that other pages are optimised for in the homepage content? Will doing this help my other pages to be seen by Google?

It would be great if someone could answer this as I'm pretty stuck on this point.

Thanks,

Nate

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:17 PM

I've set up the Homepage to focus a specific term

Why?

I won't add it here to avoid being kicked off the forum

Good and it saves one of us having to edit your post as well :)

I've set up other pages to focus on other terms

Well done, your one of the first people to admit to getting that right. Most seem to expect their "home" page to "rank" for every damned word in the dictionary.

So the issue I've just realised is that my homepage is ranking for the terms my other pages are set up for. It's not optimised for those terms but it just happens to be that some of the words are used in the homepage content.

Why is that an 'issue'??

Should I avoid using any of the words that other pages are optimised for in the homepage content? Will doing this help my other pages to be seen by Google?

Absolutely not and no it wont.

Just write your content as if you were speaking to the prospective customer directly and forget about forcing "key" words into the conversation.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:45 AM

Nowadays, Google doesn't focus so strictly on specific "keywords." They also look for the use of synonyms and related terms on each page. Hyper-focusing on a single (or small handful) of "keywords" on each page without including any of these other associated terms -- in an effort to "make" Google notice the interior pages for the keyword(s) you've chosen for each -- is likely to do more harm than good.

As Chris says, don't worry so much about forcing in keywords. Write for your customers, using the words and phrases they would naturally use when describing what you offer. Whether it's your home page or an interior page that shows up in the search results, at least something of yours shows up there, right? :)

--Torka :oldfogey:

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:25 PM

Any web page that is only about 1 keyword cannot be very interesting, useful, or helpful at all.

A page can have a "most important keyword" but if you put real information on the page it can be found for all sorts of queries.

Website home pages tend to do better than their children but over time those secondary pages can accrue sufficient value to do well on their own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.