• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Google Update 20Th October 2015

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 toolongsinthescreen

toolongsinthescreen

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:04 AM

Hi Guys, 

Around the 20th of October 2015 there has allegedly been an update to the core Google algorithm, this hasnt been confirmed by Google, but is general chitter chatter amongst webmasters and has also surfaced on well known SEO websites. The reason i am even aware of this update is the fact that i noticed around a 40% drop in traffic to one of my sites overnight on the 20th, after a little bit of research i came across the news and other webmasters reporting similar.

What i cant work out is where or how i have lost the traffic, for example if i look at my ranking positions for top keywords that have lost a lot of clicks from Google, there position within the organic results hasnt actually changed very much. Please see the image below from my webmaster search console for our top keyword. Anyone got any ideas?

search.jpg

Cheers Guys,

Sam

Attached Thumbnails

• search.jpg

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:56 PM

Like we keep saying ... What you see in rank checking is NOT what everybody else sees.

What is your traffic like usually around this time of year?

#3 toolongsinthescreen

toolongsinthescreen

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:20 AM

Hi Chris,

Please see the attached image in previous post. It shows the average position for our top keyword is 4, (taken from search console) yet after the 20 th clicks drop drastically and position stays the same.

I've also checked the keyword on several different devices from different locations and different google accounts and all show it at 4 as the search console does.

Regards

Shimlad

What is your traffic like usually around this time of year?

About 40% percent higher than it is now.

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:04 AM

According to that chart, your clicks aren't the only thing that dropped. Your impressions did too. Obviously, less impressions is going to mean less clicks.

So if your average position remained stable but your impressions dropped, that leads to a few different possibilities:

• The search is being run less often
  • The Search Console data is inaccurate

Also, you've cut off the y axis from the chart in your screen capture, so while I see a precipitious drop in impressions and clicks, I don't know how big that drop is: did you drop from 10,000 impressions a day to 1,000, or from 10 to 1? If we're dealing with smaller numbers, then a big percentage change feels more believable.I can see from the totals that we're looking at about 7,000 impressions over the course of two months, so that's a little more than 100 a day on average. So if the actual drop in impressions is something like going from 110 to 10 a day (if the data is accurate), then depending on the query (or more likely, queries), this could potentially just be a matter of a fluxuation in the number of times the searches are run in a day.

#5 toolongsinthescreen

toolongsinthescreen

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

• The search is being run less often

We can rule that option out, i've got data going back 10 years for this search field, it never just drops 40% overnight.

I don't know how big that drop is: did you drop from 10,000 impressions a day to 1,000, or from 10 to 1?.....this could potentially just be a matter of a fluxuation in the number of times the searches are run in a day.

It was around 30 to 5, but remember this is just one search phrase.

It is definitely not a fluctuation or a variable from outside Google.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additionally i also have several sites in the same industry, if it was related to a drop in people searching or from another variable outside Google, they would all likely be affected.

So it is all very strange that a ranking position could stay the same but yet impressions and clicks could drop.

Edited by shimlad, 07 November 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:48 PM

So it is all very strange that a ranking position could stay the same but yet impressions and clicks could drop.

Why??

Just being there does not mean it WILL be clicked on.

#7 toolongsinthescreen

toolongsinthescreen

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

Why??

Just being there does not mean it WILL be clicked on.

Your right in a sense Chris, and if for example a site was on page 1 number 1 for a keyword and never got clicks you would concluded it was obviously not a popular search phrase, but when you compare this example i am sharing in perspective of its previous clicks...... it is odd.

Edited by shimlad, 07 November 2015 - 03:39 PM.

• Jill likes this

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

and if for example a site was on page 1 number 1 for a keyword and never got clicks you would concluded it was obviously not a popular search phrase

Personally I wouldn't even know if it was "number 1", because I haven't "checked rankings" for anything for over ten years. All I really need to know is:

Are the pages getting and converting traffic without really caring what Google happens to be doing and are they getting too much search traffic for comfort (relative to real traffic that is).

#9 toolongsinthescreen

toolongsinthescreen

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:08 AM

Personally I wouldn't even know if it was "number 1", because I haven't "checked rankings" for anything for over ten years. All I really need to know is:

Are the pages getting and converting traffic without really caring what Google happens to be doing and are they getting too much search traffic for comfort (relative to real traffic that is).

JESUS CHRIST - Now i remember why i stopped coming on this forum, it got to do goody, or google is god, don't check search rankings, don't see if there has been an update... blah blah

That is a great theory when things are going well or there is nothing our the ordinary going on.

I don't normally check to see if what position keywords are either Chris! But as the site has lost a significant amount of traffic i have been investigating, why.

Or perhaps if i should just not bother trying to find out where the traffic has been lost from and just sit in the corner and a light a candle to the Google god?

Personally i thought it would be more useful to try and see if i could work out what was going on and then either do something about it or learn from it and share with others.

Edited by shimlad, 09 November 2015 - 06:14 AM.

• Jill likes this

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:33 AM

it got to do goody, or google is god, don't check search rankings, don't see if there has been an update... blah blah

Wrong, it's simply that those kind of observations will tell you nothing particularly useful any more so there is little point in spending wasting time and effort with a  "Chicken Little" performance of trying to figure out why, your time and expended energies would produce better results if you adopted a "sh!t happens" attitude and and ignored whatever Google is doing and simply got about the main business of improving your traffic that DOESN'T come from a source you CANNOT rely on or control.

No matter how much time you spend chasing Google's tail, you will NOT find out what changed and why it affected your particular Internet property. Just get over it, and STOP relying on something that can just disappear overnight. Building your business on free traffic from search engines IS a recipe for disaster and any good business 'person' should be prepared for that disaster.

And yes, ... ... That was a lecture!

Edited by chrishirst, 09 November 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#11 toolongsinthescreen

toolongsinthescreen

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:10 PM

improving your traffic that DOESN'T come from a source you CANNOT rely on or control.

Please could confirm to me a business model that has a source of traffic that is completely under the business's control?

No matter how much time you spend chasing Google's tail, you will NOT find out what changed and why it affected your particular Internet property.

WRONG - I have found out what has affected my Google ranking in the past, done something about it and increased traffic back to previous levels (several times).

Building your business on free traffic from search engines IS a recipe for disaster and any good business 'person' should be prepared for that disaster.

Please wake up and take your head out of the sand. We live in world where search traffic is an integral part of any business and unfortunately in the monopolised search industry where Google accounts for over 90% of search traffic that means not having a business that is reliant on Google is very unlikely.

Even big players with huge brands, for example Trip Advisor, where do you think they would be without Google traffic? Yes of course they will get some direct traffic, and referrals, but you can bet your bottom dollar they are reliant on Google for a very large percentage of their website traffic and hence their entire business model.

And yes, ... ... That was a lecture!

and yes..... that was a reality check.

Edited by shimlad, 09 November 2015 - 12:11 PM.

• Jill likes this

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

We live in world where search traffic is an integral part of any business 

Certainly it is, BUT it is NOT and should NEVER BE a "planned" source or your main source of traffic or sales, it's a bonus and should be treated as such.

Please could confirm to me a business model that has a source of traffic that is completely under the business's control?

Buying REAL advertising, one company who have no need to pay me any more as they accepted my advice and fully 'took on board' what I explained they needed to do for the future, they have no "social media presence", do absolutely zero "link building", no "twittering", no "bookmarking" etc. but turn over enough from "on-line sales" only  to employ five permanent staff handling orders from two websites (they have no 'high street/retail outlet' or 'bricks and mortar' shop front). one site sells to 'trade only' the other to J. Q. Public and only ~20% of sales are from "free" results, which they know they can afford to lose with little or no detriment to their their business or profits, so they pay no attention at all to what Google happens to be doing, if the site gets search traffic, ... Fine, if it doesn't, well, ...  that's fine as well.

Loosing traffic that you haven't paid for should NEVER be a 'big deal', you haven't asked for it or paid for it so you have no right to expect it to be there for ever. 

Edited by chrishirst, 09 November 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#13 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:46 AM

Going back to your original post, I have a few questions:

• Did all your "top" keywords lose clicks?

• Did you look at the page data in search console?

• Did you compare queries-by-date on a per-page basis to see which queries you lost?

• Did you change, add, or delete anything on the site from Sep 15 to Oct 20?

• Were you using guest posts for links to the site?

• Have you checked the site for technical issues like inappropriate use of meta tags, robots directives, etc.?

• phuongxoan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.