• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Cliche Alert : Not Ranking For Specific Term

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

Yes, I know...its going to sound like I am chasing ranks and in reality I am set against this 

methodology. I have several clients now for web marketing but I have this one specific 

client that is more old fashioned than others and who measures search success by being found for

those meaty head terms...again, I know thats an especially cloistered view of web marketing. But still, I want to rank for a certain term and its the same they would want as well.

Situation: I redesigned a website usng an ecommerce solution called shopify. Their previous website was a mess.

It didnt have webmaster tools nor analytics set up but I got that set up as soon as I got there.

The client is a manufactring firm that builds and sells air purifiers. There are pieces of information here and

there I have been told but it is limited..."we have had problems with google in the past..."  think they may have been

de-indexed and hit by panda a few years ago and got back on track so to speak.

Just before they became my client, the 83 year old owner decided to change the title tag on the home page to "we sell the best air purifiers" or something to that effect which was dealt with swiftly by google and demoted right away. I only know of these things anecdotally. This same company cannot use mailchimp because they messed that up as well, again I only have pieces of the story. This is also the same company where if you go to the website a sales person pops up in the live chat after a minute of you arriving to the website because they dont understand it is a customer service tool.

Bottom line is this. I seem to be able to get them ranked for long tail terms such as air purifier for chemicals, air purifier for offices, air purifier for MCS, Air purifier for VOC etc... But for the life of me I cannot ever find them anywhere in the SERPs for the coveted term of "air purifier(s)". 

My tools tell me they are ranked for that term around 88 - 91 and some days its just a strike through (---). Either way, I cant find them at all and I have tried many engines, different countries etc...I know there are variances when two people are searching, but, still I just cant find them at all for the term "air purifier(s)" no matter how deep I have searched. Its a great term and I have a feeling its because they messed with google and they need to prove themeselves, which I plan to and am in the middle of applying, with a content marketing strategy.

Any ideas, thoughts or contributions to this dillema would be greatly appreciated with much thanks in advance!

Edited by AvyGuttman, 06 November 2015 - 09:52 AM.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

Sounds to me as though you're on the right track. The more generic term is likely exponentially more competitive than the longer tail phrases, so it may not be a penalty but simply the lingering effects of a crappy website and no online marketing.

Only thing I can suggest off-hand is that content marketing alone may not be enough to get you there. You may need to pursue specific link-acquisition tactics, as well. For ideas in that regard: if you don't already subscribe to Eric Ward's private newsletter, I recommend it, as well as the whole pile of free articles he's got posted on his website.

If instead of rankings you can divert their attention with traffic from organic search, that may buy you some time, as well. As your optimization efforts begin to bear fruit, the client should see increasing traffic from organic search. If that increasing traffic can also be tied to increased sales (or lead generation), that might be enough to placate them until such time as you can get the more competitive generic term ranking in some regular and detectable manner.

--Torka :oldfogey:

• AvyGuttman likes this

#3 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 01:55 PM

Sounds to me as though you're on the right track. The more generic term is likely exponentially more competitive than the longer tail phrases, so it may not be a penalty but simply the lingering effects of a crappy website and no online marketing.

Only thing I can suggest off-hand is that content marketing alone may not be enough to get you there. You may need to pursue specific link-acquisition tactics, as well. For ideas in that regard: if you don't already subscribe to Eric Ward's private newsletter, I recommend it, as well as the whole pile of free articles he's got posted on his website.

If instead of rankings you can divert their attention with traffic from organic search, that may buy you some time, as well. As your optimization efforts begin to bear fruit, the client should see increasing traffic from organic search. If that increasing traffic can also be tied to increased sales (or lead generation), that might be enough to placate them until such time as you can get the more competitive generic term ranking in some regular and detectable manner.

--Torka :oldfogey:

Yes, I need links. I know. Oh woe to the content creator for Air Purification is rather dull and the majority of most competitors dont even have much to say. All kind of  sounds like the same boring content. To stand out it is going to take some major creativity. Plus its a product that is not a visual experience. I cant show a video of a room having its air cleaned, its not something the naked eye can actually see and showing it on an electronic reading is futile and may be presumed to be fake and thats probably what viewers would ascertain.

I know there are many routes for links and I know thats the wall right now. I also know that some people are born with looks and some brains but you, well, both.

Thanks Torka, you are always helpful! ;)

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:15 PM

or something to that effect which was dealt with swiftly by google and demoted right away.

No they didn't, the document at that URL changed so has to be re-evaluated as to where it should be placed, nothing underhand, devious or a case for concern.

#5 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:52 PM

No they didn't, the document at that URL changed so has to be re-evaluated as to where it should be placed, nothing underhand, devious or a case for concern.

I know the website in question was de-indexed at one point a few years back. My assumption was that because they used the term "best" in the title page on their homepage that is was seen as a spammy tactic so it was demoted. Again, I was not there yet but what you are saying makes perfect sense Chris

...what is your opinion, or anyone else's on the fact that the company in question has been online for over 15 years and are not to be found for the term"air purifier(s)" which is the products they manufactire and sell? Is this because they were de-indexed in the past and google has the website on a "probation" of sorts? Low quality site in the past...now its a waiting game and the more quality in time will progress this situation I am hoping...and yes, the website has spammy links...forums and low end sites and its a challenge getting quality relevant links but I am going to try my best to improve that with really great and unique content.

Edited by AvyGuttman, 08 November 2015 - 05:55 PM.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:03 AM

I know the website in question was de-indexed at one point a few years back. My assumption was that because they used the term "best" in the title page on their homepage that is was seen as a spammy tactic so it was demoted. 

The idea of there being  "poison words" that, if used on a page (not site) would result in the page (not site) being declared "spammy" is a rather old one that was the usual speculation by "experts" based on no evidence at all. These "experts" treat Search Marketing almost as a religion, and if it's in "The Book" it must be true.

If you want to say "best for [whatever]" then do exactly that.

or anyone else's on the fact that the company in question has been online for over 15 years and are not to be found for the term"air purifier(s)"

They have been "trying too hard" and focussing on the "most important keyword" in a bid to force search engines to list the "home" page URL, rather than working WITH search engines and optimising EVERY 'page' and promoting EVERY 'page' for, and to, real users.

The best 'tactic', by far and away is to ignore search engines and what you think they want in terms of a formula, because nobody really knows what that might be, and just work the intent of search engines, that is to show their users (the searchers) the best content URL(s) they have in their index

and yes, the website has spammy links...forums and low end sites

How do you know they are "spammy"? (according to Google's definition of spammy)

• AvyGuttman likes this

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:58 AM

Are they the number 1 (or top 10) company that sells air purifiers in the world (in real life)?

If not, then why would they be on Google?

• AvyGuttman likes this

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:58 AM

If people are not searching for the company name then teaching consumers to search for that name will be a game-changer.  When business owners see the value in ranking for "My Company Name" other queries become less important to their business plan.  Unless they are using an exact-match domain name to chase a keyword you should be able to build up traffic in the brand name.

But getting the business owner to agree to that kind of SEO is sometimes very challenging, especially when they are "old school" and know more about their business than you do.

Queries change over time, and a lot of business owners don't realize that consumers lose interest in those old queries.

• AvyGuttman likes this

#9 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:47 PM

That was very helpful feedback. Based on all the responses, I feel a better perspective and understanding. Such is the case often on this forum and I cant thank you all enough for the value and information you all share. Thank you!

• Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.