• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Site Audit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Suffolk

Suffolk

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:37 AM

Hello!

I'm quite new to SEO and only learning, so don't be very strict to my questions, please)

I want to know how to make a website audit: see all the errors, broken links. How should I do it? What else should I pay attention at while doing audit?

Waiting for your answers. Please, help!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:55 AM

Auditing a website is something you learn to do as you gain experience and having a "check-list" does not mean that you are capable of auditing, sure you could follow the items on the list but that does not mean that you understand the implications of what you are looking at, and when it comes to what is 'best' for any particular set of URLs there is no "one size fits all" approach.

However, your first place to look is the site access logs, everything that happens or has happened on the site is recorded there.

• AvyGuttman likes this

#3 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:43 AM

It also helps to find out as much about the company you are auditing as possible. Understanding their business model, their goals for the short and long term, and as much about their audience, targets, their customers etc... are some examples. 

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:15 AM

Something like Xenu can be helpful at the basic level of identifying broken links. For code errors, the first line of defense is looking to see if the pages render successfully in various browsers. You can try running the page code through the W3C validator, but you should keep in mind search engines do not require code to be totally "valid" in order for a site to rank well. Checking the code against accessibility standards (look up Web Accessibility Initiative) can also be helpful to identify areas where the site code can be improved (again, please note that "perfect" accessibility is not a prerequisite for "good SEO").

Beyond that, as Chris says, it generally becomes a matter of experience and skill. Avy makes good points -- what is "good" optimization for one company might be useless (or even counterproductive) for another, depending on their market, business model, audience and goals. Checklists can be helpful so you don't accidentally leave something off, but they're not going to tell you whether the client has done a good job, or whether that point is even necessary for that particular business. If you're going to be using a checklist, consider it a guideline only; be guided by your judgement, not by blind "checkboxing" of a list.

That said, you may find this article helpful. Keep in mind that not every item on the list will apply to every website, and not all of them will be equally important for each site.

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.