• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Read More Button / Hidden Text / Mobile Friendly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shimlad

shimlad

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:06 AM

Once upon a time, i added 500 words of text to the top of key pages to my website, it was useful to uses that this was implemented in a way so that the text only showed a few lines and then the rest was hidden with a read more button (Not all users would want to read the content).

Having recently redesigned the site to be responsive and for the smaller mobile screen, i am actually thinking of getting rid of this content altogether on the reduced screen version of the site but still leaving it on the desktop site.

I cant work out if this could be considered spam? Of course a few years ago if you had a load of text that search engines could read and users couldn't then this would definitely be spam. However the text will be visible to desktop users, but not for smaller screens and mobile users.

Would i be essentially hiding text? and therefore spamming, i am confused. :coffee1:

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

If it can be made visible by users the general consensus is that it will be fine.

#3 shimlad

shimlad

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:59 AM

If it can be made visible by users the general consensus is that it will be fine.

It can on the desktop site.

But for the responsive mobile site i am thinking of dropping it altogether to save space.

This is my dilemma, so it will be hidden for mobile users.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 06:15 AM

I'm sure that Google are well aware that sometimes there is no other option but to 'lose' some text, however another way to look at it is; If you are prepared to dump the content for some visitors, is it really that 'useful' ? Particularly as if I recall correctly your site(s) are holiday destinations which may be more likely to be accessed by people who are, in the truest sense of the word, mobile.

#5 shimlad

shimlad

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:51 AM

I'm sure that Google are well aware that sometimes there is no other option but to 'lose' some text, however another way to look at it is; If you are prepared to dump the content for some visitors, is it really that 'useful' ? Particularly as if I recall correctly your site(s) are holiday destinations which may be more likely to be accessed by people who are, in the truest sense of the word, mobile.

Wow - you have a good memory,i have hardly posted on here for a couple of years. Yes they are holiday destination sites.

We have had to cut a lots of things from the desktop site to make the site easier to use on the mobile,so its not so much about usefulness, but basically we are just keeping the core site on the mobile to avoid horizontal scrolling etc.

The text i am taking about is useful in that it gives a nice overview of the area, but in reality most of our users just want to get straight to the accommodation. With the text their as an option for those that do want to read further.

However on the mobile site as other parts to the site, i am wondering if for the great good just to drop it, as space really is limited on mobile size screens.

If were going spend all this time making a responsive site that is mobile friendly, you cant really beat around the bush. I just dont want to get caught in a google trap unwittingly.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:03 AM

It's actually fairly common that mobile sites are "pared down" versions of the desktop sites -- as you say, cutting back to the core functionality and content.

Given that desktop search and mobile search are (at least for the moment) two different animals, I wouldn't worry about whether content on one platform will impact rankings on the other.

Present information on the desktop in an amount and a way that's useful to the desktop visitor. Present information on mobile in an amount and a way that's useful to the mobile user. IMO, it's not going to be a problem with the search engines, and it will certainly be better that way for your human visitors.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.