• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Acquisition And Conversion Data Inconsistency

Best Answer chrishirst , 22 October 2015 - 05:51 AM

"Goal completion" and "Acquisition" can be/are two different things regardless of what the lead up to them is/was, and the reports are different ways of looking at the same data, so the two are not necessarily going to correlate precisely.

A goal "completion" might be something as simple as a single request on one URL, but the conversion/acquisition may require something in addition to the request event, but without actually seeing what your parameters are, it is impossible to be precise  about why this is in your case, but with very small numbers such anomalies are far more noticeable. Have you compared the Google results to your site logs for the same time period?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JeffScott

JeffScott

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:24 PM

I have a problem with Goal Completions, concerning Referral data from Acquisition and Conversion categories.
(Note that is on China market, if that will help..)

I've been getting 0 Goal completions on a certain referral site for a long time now and it is kinda puzzling.
I have just recently noticed that when I looked under 'Goal URL's' data a specific referring site (that I was talking about) I got 7 Goal Completions, but when I looked under Acquisition > Referral this certain referral site gives 0 Goal Completions.

Now my question is, how's that the data it gives are so far from each other, wherein the dimension I used, its goal completion, referral URL and date range are just the same?

It confuse me this much, I need some clarifications.. please help.
Thank you all in advance..

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:59 AM

Should we assume that you are asking about Google analytics? Or something else?

#3 JeffScott

JeffScott

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:31 PM

Its about Google Analytics Chris and really confusing me regarding in the Goal Completions between the two dimensions because they have given me different results. I need to find the reason behind these results to make an analysis report to the clients as well as to learn from this problem.

Thanks Chris,

Regards,

JeffScott

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:51 AM   Best Answer

"Goal completion" and "Acquisition" can be/are two different things regardless of what the lead up to them is/was, and the reports are different ways of looking at the same data, so the two are not necessarily going to correlate precisely.

A goal "completion" might be something as simple as a single request on one URL, but the conversion/acquisition may require something in addition to the request event, but without actually seeing what your parameters are, it is impossible to be precise  about why this is in your case, but with very small numbers such anomalies are far more noticeable. Have you compared the Google results to your site logs for the same time period?

#5 JeffScott

JeffScott

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:21 AM

So the two dimensions has other method on how to calculate the conversions (according to the process of data that they receive) in sign ups that's why it delivers different results in goal completions.

Another one Chris, Are you familiar with Google and China issue in providing data when it comes to Google Analytics?

Is it related to my inquiry? Lack of data because China is restricting Google products within their country.

Thanks for the heads up Chris.

Sincerely,

JeffScott

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:09 PM

Another one Chris, Are you familiar with Google and China issue in providing data when it comes to Google Analytics?

Not even slightly :) about the only traffic from IPs assigned to China  I see these days are ones that are taking a metaphorical battering ram to  the SMTP server gateway. 

Lack of data because China is restricting Google products within their country.

It could be, if they are re-routing requests to google.com URIs there will be cases where the analytics js request does not reach the server. This is where your server access logs are necessary, as they miss nothing.

#7 JeffScott

JeffScott

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:17 AM

Hi Chris!

Is the best answer to this thread has similarities to answer my another query regarding with the delivery of results?

In GA

In Acquisition, the SignUp completion (custom goal) =  1

vs.

In Conversion, the Goal completion (direct metric) = 0

They had different results but has the same path or destination (Congratulatory page).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.