• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Internal Linking For 150K Pages Advice

Best Answer chrishirst , 11 October 2015 - 07:42 AM

And, what excpectations do I set with the client

As usual ... ... Absolutely none whatsoever

, or lisitng top cities in the footer etc.

No, no and thrice no.

All I have ever done for these kind of situations, which hasn't failed me yet. is to create a 'grouping' document or series of 'grouping' documents where the final target documents (your 'outlier pages') are linked from one or many, of the 'group' pages.

Wordpress is very good at this, with it's categories, archives, etc. grouping to give multiple 'entry points' into any site 'architecture'. (Once you curtail it's penchant for creating multiple URLs for the same content. of course)

Examples of 'tweaking' Wordpress, zmpm.com bookemdanno.com 

GENERAL COMMENT

Everybody should STOP thinking of a 'website' ALWAYS  starting at the 'home' page, once you realise that ANY URL is an 'entry point' these kind of "problems" cease to exist.

ALSO

Forget the 'three clicks' "rule" that was only sort of true when the only way that websites could be 'found' WAS from 'home page' links in directory sites.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LuvHlpPls

LuvHlpPls

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

Hi everyone!

I have a client site that has profile pages for 150K worth of professionals that they want indexed. Currently, there are no internal links poiting to these pages.

While Google does have some indexed (discovered from XML sitemap), we need better discovery/visibility. I am after some advice/best practice how how to do this.

Users can acces these pages by making selection from drop downs based on locality. I've seen other sites use a map of the country that can be clicked on to drill down, or lisitng top cities in the footer etc. I have also suggested contextual linking but none of these methods will potentially link to ALL of the pages.

So what to do? And, what excpectations do I set with the client on the outlier pages?

Thanks

PS If you could provide some website exmaples where this is done well I'd love to see them ;)

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 04:56 AM

If your client is OK with the idea of users being able to navigate from one profile page to another, think about hub pages leading to the profiles and breadcrumb trails on them that use the taxonomy of the section (home > profiles > state > city > name) to let users move up from specific to general. Make that information accessible to users, and search engines will have no trouble following the links the same way.

• LuvHlpPls likes this

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:42 AM   Best Answer

And, what excpectations do I set with the client

As usual ... ... Absolutely none whatsoever

, or lisitng top cities in the footer etc.

No, no and thrice no.

All I have ever done for these kind of situations, which hasn't failed me yet. is to create a 'grouping' document or series of 'grouping' documents where the final target documents (your 'outlier pages') are linked from one or many, of the 'group' pages.

Wordpress is very good at this, with it's categories, archives, etc. grouping to give multiple 'entry points' into any site 'architecture'. (Once you curtail it's penchant for creating multiple URLs for the same content. of course)

Examples of 'tweaking' Wordpress, zmpm.com bookemdanno.com 

GENERAL COMMENT

Everybody should STOP thinking of a 'website' ALWAYS  starting at the 'home' page, once you realise that ANY URL is an 'entry point' these kind of "problems" cease to exist.

ALSO

Forget the 'three clicks' "rule" that was only sort of true when the only way that websites could be 'found' WAS from 'home page' links in directory sites.

• LuvHlpPls likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.