• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Pages Sometimes Come Up In Results Even Though Name Removed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kevs2

kevs2

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:44 PM

Sometimes certain images or web pages for certain search term, come up on name/ brand search, and I tell the webmaster that this page is dated and not relevant now and to take my name/brand off. They take my name/brand off, (I let them keep the image or page up), yet still months later, on a names searches the page comes up on Google -- sometimes near end of page 1.

Anyone know the main culprits for this? Thanks.

Edited by chrishirst, 06 October 2015 - 04:59 PM.

• MatthewPl likes this

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:11 PM

Webmaster for what or whom?

yet still months later, on a names searches the page comes up on Google -- sometimes near end of page 1.

That's how search works, you get shown what pages match your query according to the search engine algorithm.

Anyone know the main culprits for this?

Culprits for what exactly?

#3 kevs2

kevs2

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:36 PM

Boy, my english is bad, sorry, and I'm a native speaker!

If ones name is nowhere on the page, and no where in the code of the page. Why would on occasioanl searches of my name/ or brand bring up a page where my name or brand is nowhere on the page or metada? Thanks!

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:40 AM

The  English is fine, it's just the questions that were somewhat vague.

Basically the answer is:

Because search engines use more than just the page content to determine what that URL should be shown to users for their query, and if you habitually or regularly search Google's database for your "name" or "brand", ... ... Google WILL show you fairly obscure URLs that it 'knows' about and have some relationship to the word(s) in your query.

It's just one more thing that has made 'rank checking' a pointless pastime since the turn of the century.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:17 AM

Google also uses old data to influence some of its rankings.  There may once have been links pointing to the page with anchor text that match your name, or it could remember that the page once had your name.

It could also be there are still links pointing to the page with anchor text that matches your name.

The page could be linked to by some other page that uses your name even though the anchor text it uses to point to the mysterious page does not match your name.

• Jill likes this

#6 kevs2

kevs2

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 10:02 AM

Thanks Chris,/ Michael.

I understand the link issues, makes sense. But old data? So even if all links in out were gone, Google has a kind of archive going, on how a page came up in past, even though now relevant now? 

What about also if the site has a redirect for old name going to the page, would that help bring new page up in search?

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:08 AM

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it, you are probably the only person on the planet that sees those results.

#8 kevs2

kevs2

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:16 AM

Not true Chris, some see, and that is why I'm aksing. Though small... admittadly...

Still., last question:

What about also if the site has a redirect for old name going to the page, would that help bring new page up in search?

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:18 PM

It might, then again it might not, what you actually need is better promotion and branding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.