• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How To Do Keyword Optimization When People Love The Concept, But Aren&

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 philraymond

philraymond

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

'Minimalist living' is a trending topic right now. Many people are interested in living a simpler life, and they're searching online for how to do so.

'Minimalist business', on the other hand, is not something people are searching for. And yet when I bring up the phrase to my small biz entrepreneur friends, their eyes often light up. When I talk about how I believe that many of us could both increase our profit and decrease our overwhelm by simplifying our businesses, their eyes light up even more.

So I think I'm onto something, and yet nobody is searching for 'minimalist business'. People aren't much searching for other terms that come to mind either, like 'simplifying business', etc.

What do you do from an SEO perspective in a situation like this? So many people I talk to really love the concept, but nobody is searching for it. Do I just build pages around topics I want to talk about anyway (e.g. email marketing) and become known as the guy who writes about online marketing from a minimalist perspective (even though minimalism won't be a big part of my keyword strategy)?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Phil

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:57 PM

This is the dilemma faced by anybody who comes up with a new product. If nobody knows "red lederhosen" exist, then how can they search for them? (Even though they might be the most practical and comfortable leather shorts ever designed or worn by a human, ever.) You have to build your brand and brand awareness before people will start searching for you.

Beyond that, Google is getting beyond strict keyword-focus and returning pages in search that are related to the concept of the query. It's not about having the page that contains the exact search phrase in exactly the right places, exactly the right number of times (it never was, really...) but even more so now it's about having a page that best matches what Google interprets as the intent of the search query. Their search results are not always on the mark at this point, but the engineers are refining the algorithm every day.

So the thing is, I think you need to focus on two things:

• Targeting your content to your prospects' pain points, not the "product" you offer. To continue my analogy, I'd target phrases like "fixing uncomfortable pants" (where I give tips to get the best fit when buying ordinary pants, but also talk about how comfortable our red lederhosen are right out of the box) or "how to remove stains from suede" (in an article with stain-removal tips, but that also mentions the stain-resistant finish we put on every pair of our red lederhosen). So, yeah, write about "how to make your email marketing more effective with less work". You'll still want to include your "brand phrase" (minimalist marketing), maybe even make that your business name or at least your tag line. That's the brand you're working to build, so you need to work it in where you reasonably can. But focus the articles on the problems you can solve for your customers, not what you are trying to sell to them.
  • Outbound marketing. Things like building an email newsletter list, social media, advertising, in-person networking... stuff where you reach out to the customers instead of counting on them to come to you. You might also benefit from developing partnerships / relationships with others who already have an audience that you'd like to reach. You might be able to work out some sort of co-op or content swap, or at the very least be able to interview them (which you then post on your blog or in your newsletter, which appearance they will then most likely promote to their own viewers / readers / followers).

Once you've build your brand a bit, people may start searching on the term, but even then, focusing on customers' pain points (showing them how you can solve their problems) and balancing inbound with outbound marketing are both good things to keep doing.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

Edited by torka, 23 September 2015 - 12:59 PM.
clarification

#3 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:42 PM

What do you do from an SEO perspective in a situation like this? So many people I talk to really love the concept, but nobody is searching for it. Do I just build pages around topics I want to talk about anyway (e.g. email marketing) and become known as the guy who writes about online marketing from a minimalist perspective (even though minimalism won't be a big part of my keyword strategy)?

You may be surprised to know that some people feel that doing away with online advertising altogether, especially including email marketing campaigns is part of a minimalist approach and what, to them, defines them as a "minimalist business".

What if I thought minimalism in relation to business meant arriving by public transport, rarely getting a haircut, coming in to the office in clothes that cost me 20$ or less and other cost cutting methods and personal freedoms that relieve me from the "stuffiness" of the office experience? This too would satisfy the term minimalism with respect to business.

I think what you mean by "business minimalism" is the minimalistic approach to running the actual business but there can also be the holistic approach -the entire experience from the employee and employer perspective of reducing that which seems superfluous or burdensome. That is the thing with defining minimalism in any approach...it is so broad to define because of the many personal views on what can be minimized.

I am a minimalist, I make my own greeting cards from construction paper and markers...you are a minimalist, you knit your own scarves but like buying hallmark cards etc etc...

I get the impression you rate good ideas based on their "key" word value and this is not totally without its merits but more of a basic guideline. Want to know if your idea will work well with your audience? Close google adwords and for once just write while ignoring what adwords has to say. Listen to your audience. If what you write bombs, and no one cares, or the feedback is negative, well then, who cares if 500 million people according to adwords are seeking that key word or related key words/phrases? Test your audience, speak to them and ask them, they will divulge in some form or other what it is that appeases their tastes and desires.

p.s. If you think you are going to become "the guy who writes about online marketing from a minimalist perspective" and yet it seems you need the "go ahead" from adwords and probably other key word research tools before actually embarking on expressing your prose -you may not realize the hypocrisy you are emulating and what exactly minimalism means to most people. Just sit down and write something from the heart...letting go of key word research tools may indeed be the minimalistic approach your writing and thinking skills may need. Perhaps letting go of obsessing over the numbers in key word tools is the model of business minimalism you should be espousing to yourself.

#4 philraymond

philraymond

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

Torka, on point as usual - both very good reminders, thank you.

Avy, thanks for your input. There's no hypocrisy in wanting to develop a sound keyword strategy before launching a project, nor does it mean I won't be writing from my heart. Writing content for an audience without first determining how that audience will ever find the content is one of the reasons why the vast majority of blogs and information websites fail - there's very little point in writing if there's no strategy in place to get that writing seen. So I'm just trying to maximize my chances of ranking in the search engines by doing some planning before I launch into writing. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:26 AM

So I'm just trying to maximize my chances of ranking in the search engines by doing some planning before I launch into writing.

Then stop thinking about 'key' words and start thinking about how to communicate with users.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:40 PM

Also, if something is of interest to you, it's likely of interest to at least some others.

#7 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 04:01 AM

Many people are interested in living a simpler life, and they're searching online for how to do so.

Sounds like there's an inherent contradiction there. If you are really interested in living a simpler life, you wouldn't be relying on computers, smart phones or search engines to tell you how to achieve it.

Mike

• chrishirst likes this

#8 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

there's very little point in writing if there's no strategy in place to get that writing seen.

there are people who write because they feel like and put more effort on the actual craft itself and it still gets seen. It is good to plan, yes, and even the best writing in the world can sit and collect dust. I guarantee you, that if you write something really great that your audience enjoys it will spread and be seen.

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:12 AM

Mike, I guess that would depend in part on how you define a "simpler life." For instance, computers can be useful for digitizing paper documents, reducing clutter and making information retrieval faster and easier -- which some could interpret as "simpler" than storing and digging through mounds of dusty paperwork. :)

IMO, simplification doesn't necessarily mean a rejection of technology -- it could mean using technology to make cumbersome or time-consuming tasks easier. I don't think it's unreasonable that some people who are interested in simplifying (whether just their marketing or their entire lives) would go online to find information.

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.