• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Website Stuggling To Rank

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JamesMidkiff

JamesMidkiff

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:00 PM

Hi all,

I have a website but its struggling to rank in google. There are no 404 or 301 errors. I'm not 100% sure my robots file is correct. Could this be preventing my site from being indexed?

User-agent: *
Allow: /
Disallow: /admin/
sitemap:/sitemap.xml

Many thanks!!!

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

Indexing and ranking are not the same thing. If your pages aren't indexed, they aren't even in the search engine's database to start with. (Which would tend to explain why they aren't ranking well. If they are there in the first place, they'll never rank for anything, anywhere, any time.)

As to your robots.txt file, you don't need the "Allow" in there. That's the default for all bots. All you need to do are specify the areas you want to "Disallow." But I don't think that would cause any problems in terms of the spiders visiting your site. Do you see any crawling error messages in the Google Search Console?

Assuming there are no crawl errors and your pages are indexed but not ranking, you have an entirely different problem. One which has nothing to do with your robots.txt file, but rather with the optimization and promotion of your pages.

Analyzing in detail why any specific set of pages doesn't rank well is beyond the scope of a free online forum. Have you read through these tips?

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.