• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Choose Keywords For Overall Site? Or Page By Page?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 philraymond

philraymond

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:31 AM

In 2011 or so, I learned a detailed method of choosing keywords for a website that ultimately culminated in a set of 100 keywords from Google's Keyword Tool (now Keyword Planner) with a central most important keyword at the core and then the 100 most related keywords.

Back then, the teacher of this method (Glenn Livingston) stressed how important it was that search engines understood what your site was about overall, which meant organizing those 100 keywords into groups and then creating pages for the most important of them, if not many of them. Long story short, he wanted a tight set of keywords rather than picking and choosing keywords one at a time.

I'm not sure if that was right back then or not, but nowadays it definitely seems many people are saying that search engine rankings are based much more on a page-by-page basis rather than the keyword use over the whole domain.

My apologies if I'm not explaining myself well, but my question is: can I pick and choose keywords I want to rank for even if they aren't highly related in Google's eyes (partially related, but not highly), or should I still try to have a tight set of keywords for the site overall?

Thanks in advance!

Phil

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

The results have ALWAYS been page based not site based.

But that doesn't mean the strategy you were taught was wrong. It makes a lot of sense, regardless.

#3 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

If you know a lot about the topic(s) you write about (among other ways of serving up content) on your website, there is a likely chance you will be automatically using the words that are "key" to your topic. The better you know and comprehend your audience, the more likely you are to know how to talk to them and spark their interests, understanding, desires etc.... For example, experts talking to other experts have a certain lingo usage that they probably wouldn't express while sharing discourse with a novice. If you keep adding pages to your website, how about forgetting about the key words for each page and focus more on these questions: "Am I adding more value with this additional page? Will my audience find it useful? Does it add value or merely repeat existing points and ideas from current pages on the website? Is the information I will be adding on this new page complimentary to my website's overall topical theme?" 

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

And keep in mind, today Google is also returning pages that contain synonyms and "near matches" for the actual search query, not just pages that contain the exact words or phrase the searcher entered. They're moving toward trying to determine the searcher's "intent" and to show them pages that match that intent, whether they actually contain the specific search phrase or not.

So having a group of related keywords to work with is probably going to be the way to go, in the long run.

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.