• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Image Indexing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

Hello,

For the most part all of our web pages have been indexed by Google as can be seen in search console and quite swiftly. After 2 months now, however, image files have yet to be indexed. Not one. I suppose it is a matter of patience and waiting until Google indexes the images but perhaps someone has some insight to add?

Thanks so much to all those who contribute :)

Edited by AvyGuttman, 22 September 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

Time and patience, and the usual, does any body else link to the images?

#3 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

Time and patience, and the usual, does any body else link to the images?

Not yet, that would probably speed up the indexation. Its been close to two months and I was sure at least some picture files would be indexed by now. Ive no problem with patience, I'm wondering if there is something that is causing a delay.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

Why do you want the image files indexed? And are you sure you're not blocking the image directory via robots.txt?

#5 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 12:35 PM

Why do you want the image files indexed?

So that they can potentially rank in a search, specifically an image search.

are you sure you're not blocking the image directory via robots.txt?

Not blocking with robots.txt and I checked this first, assuming it was the cause.

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

So that they can potentially rank in a search, specifically an image search.

But why? The only reason 99.9% of people do an image search is so they can steal borrow the images. There's no actual benefit to the person/organization that posted them in the first place.

--Torka :oldfogey:

#7 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:07 PM

Torka,

When I perform a search and an image shows up as well, I see it as added real estate in the SERPs. I like images, when I see one that captures my attention faster and more powerfully than mere text. Images speak a thousand words...and most people online read 1000 words only after perusing 1000 pages. So, my take away from the responses are "who cares if your images are indexed?" Well, if they get indexed, they may show up in the SERPs and be clicked on, bringing people to the website so they can see more or read more...or better yet, buy something. 

(SIDE NOTE)Your image, for instance, delivers me to a place where angels dance and spin woolen blankets matching the color and vibrancy of your beautiful hair. Though rare and few, your image gives hope and valor to those hopeless romantics who still believe in the existence of angels. All the while, my heart, moved by a deep orchestral command and driven on by the potency of the timpani -the sole item being stolen from your image is my breath ;)

Edited by AvyGuttman, 23 September 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:01 PM

The images you see included in general Web search are usually the top-ranked images in image search.  Merely being included in image search is not sufficient to guarantee your images will be included in the Web search.

Also, if there is relatively low search volume for a query in image search the search engines are less likely to inject image search results into the Web query results.

And unfortunately this is still a keyword-rich anchor game.  Allowing people to hotlink your images is not going to help with image search.  You want them to link to the page with the image using at least some of the keywords in the query.

Image search runs to its own clock and updates when it updates, independently of when the main Web index updates.  But there will be a lag time between getting indexed in image search and seeing the injection cross over into Web search.  This lag time varies.

You should check your raw server logs to make sure the search engines ARE fetching the image files with 200 status response codes.  If your .htaccess file, for example, is blocking hotlinking the search engines may not be able to fetch the images.

#9 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:15 AM

Avy, you silver-tongued devil.  :embarrassed:  :rofl:

"Angelic" is probably one of the last keywords anyone who knows me in person would use to search for me. :diablo: :forkoff:  :whistle: 

Thanks for starting my day off with a good chuckle. Your reward is this dancing banana: :banana:

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.