• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is This Considered Reciprocal Linking?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kurzo

kurzo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:25 PM

A news or industry resource website does an article mentioning my url and I link back to that news article from my website - technically this is reciprocal linking, correct? Is there any seo value being passed by the news website?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

"Technically" almost EVERY link on EVERY page of EVERY website is a 'reciprocal' link.

Your site URLS will all link to other URLs on your site and those URLs will link back to the other URLs on your site.

Do you worry about those links being 'reciprocal?

I'm not going to post a whole article so have a read at this.

Is there any seo value being passed by the news website?

Who knows??

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

Why would you care? 

But, yes, they're both still links, so they both pass value. (Presuming they don't have nofollow on them, etc.)

#4 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:28 AM

You need to think about why search engines don't like what's referred to as "reciprocal links." If you look at Google's guidelines on what they call "link schemes," what they don't want is

Excessive link exchanges ("Link to me and I'll link to you") or partner pages exclusively for the sake of cross-linking

So what the algo is looking for is

• Cross--linking just for the sake of cross-linking
  • Too much of it

You're cross-linking because you were mentioned on another site and you want to let your readers know about it. Your intention is to brag, not to mess with how the algorithm judges links. While it's tough for a search engine to figure out intent, it's likely that Googlebot found their link to you before it noticed that you were linking back. There's no reason to look at this as a "link exchange."

You're telling us about your concern over one link. If your site had 5,000 backlinks from different domains, and you just happened to be linking back to 3,000 of those domains (what a coincidence!), then even if they were all examples of you letting your readers know you'd been mentioned favorably elsewhere, I think I'd be concerned about how a search engine was going to judge those links. For one or two examples of this sort of linking, I don't think I'd lose any sleep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.