• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Using The Adwords Api/google T&c's

Best Answer torka , 18 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

Honestly, I haven't looked into the use of the API myself all that much. But I believe the points you raised in your original post (lack of transparency, possible T&C violation, etc.) are all valid. The fact that he wants to borrow someone else's token rather than getting an account and obtaining his own is another giant red flag.

You honestly don't owe him an explanation. A simple, "No, I'm sorry but I'm not comfortable doing that," (repeated as many times as necessary) is all you have to say.

I think this is one of those situations where your gut is telling you loud and clear the right answer. IMO, you should listen. :)

--Torka :oldfogey:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LuvHlpPls

LuvHlpPls

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 12:48 AM

Hi there,

I have a question I'd just like to run by you - I know a guy who wants to use my access to the AdWords API to help populate results in a tool he's building. To do so I need to apply for the token through my MCC account, however, after researching a bit it doesn't sound like a good idea.

1. The tool won't be built to aide in PPC/AdWords/Campaign management. It is for keyword data/search volume. This in itself seems to fly in the face of the T&C's.

2. I also do not think it common practice to let developers 'borrow' the token to begin with. Should he not apply for his own?

3. There's a lot of guidelines that Google has in its' documentation about checks on the use of the API and I wouldn't have any transparency in how my token will be used to ensure the tool complies. I know the likes of Moz and Raven had theirs revoked at one point. I also read that their could be non-compliant fees.

4. There's no way I would want him to be able to access the many accounts I manage through my MCC.

Anyway, I think I'm on the right track here and will keep reading, but would love to hear other opinions.

Thanks

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:53 AM

Why can't he get his own account?

#3 LuvHlpPls

LuvHlpPls

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:11 PM

Thanks Torka

That is one of the first questions I'd ask, but I also wanted to ensure that I understand what I'm reading about the use of the token so I can make an informed response.

Cheers

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 08:52 AM   Best Answer

Honestly, I haven't looked into the use of the API myself all that much. But I believe the points you raised in your original post (lack of transparency, possible T&C violation, etc.) are all valid. The fact that he wants to borrow someone else's token rather than getting an account and obtaining his own is another giant red flag.

You honestly don't owe him an explanation. A simple, "No, I'm sorry but I'm not comfortable doing that," (repeated as many times as necessary) is all you have to say.

I think this is one of those situations where your gut is telling you loud and clear the right answer. IMO, you should listen. :)

Edited by torka, 18 September 2015 - 08:53 AM.

• Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.