• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Help! Strange Things Showing Up In My Ahrefs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SGEU

SGEU

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:02 AM

Hi guys,

Over the past week or two our number of backlinks (according to ahrefs) has doubled from 24 to 48 without any action of our own. Some of the referring sites have decent PA and DA however the anhor text is not relevant to our website.

Upon checking what was going on and where these links came from it appears that somebody or some people are creating an account on our forum, inserting a link as their homepage and then linking from another website to their profile they just made on our forum.

Here is an example of what I mean:

removed

There must be a dozen of these profiles in the last week or two.

Now I have a few questions:

1) Why are these people doing this? What do they gain by this sort of thing?

2) What should I do about this? Delete the forum profiles creating 404 (or is it 304) errors? Or should I edit the profile to either remove their link or replace their link with a link to my other website?

3) Should I take any other action?

Actually in the example above I have edited their URL to "asking highrankings for help" as I guess they don't need a boost from you i that's their intention.

Anyway, I'm confused so thanks in advance for any and all advice you can give!

Matt

Edited by chrishirst, 09 September 2015 - 08:50 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

Some of the referring sites have decent PA and DA

What has that got to do with anything useful???

1) Why are these people doing this? What do they gain by this sort of thing?

Who knows????

Delete the forum profiles creating 404

Yes.

Over the past week or two our number of backlinks (according to ahrefs) has doubled from 24 to 48 without any action of our own

Are we to infer from that comment that you are spamming other sites sorry i mean actively performing  "link building"?

#3 SGEU

SGEU

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:45 AM

Are we to infer from that comment that you are spamming other sites sorry i mean actively performing  "link building"?

No we are not actively performing link building. Hence "no action of our own".

So if I were to remove these profiles and any visitors or google bots were to get a 404 error page, this would not adversely affect our seo? Sorry for being a bit of a noob, we've been focussing more on just making a good website with good content rather than being overly fussed about the seo site, but with this happening it got me slightly worried as it just seems a bit odd.

Thanks again.

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:13 AM

Most likely these are "link builders" (in the sense that Chris was referring) who believe they can somehow boost these profile pages with some sort of "link value" by linking to them from some "third party" site, said "link value" then being passed back to their primary website via the link they inserted in the profile. :ohno:

Obviously, Google is most likely well aware they control both the linking-in page and the linked-to page, so such links would be discounted. With luck, your forum software is adding "nofollow" to the links, further reducing the chances they would pass any value. Not to mention that these would be relatively low-value pages to start with. All-in-all, it sounds to me like a misguided attempt at "link building" gone awry. :no:

And to answer your most recent question, no, it wouldn't affect anything related to your website. When you delete a page (any page), it can no longer be found. 404 is the proper response for a page that cannot be found. Now, if you were linking internally to these pages, that would potentially be a different matter. Having large numbers of internal links that are 404 indicates a poorly-maintained site, which could (eventually) become a problem. But since these are user-generated pages and (presumably) you are not linking to them from other pages on your website, you should be fine. Delete the pages, and if you feel particularly jaunty, ban the people who created them. :thumbup:

--Torka :oldfogey:

Edited by torka, 09 September 2015 - 11:19 AM.
typo

#5 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:52 PM

What happens to people who are new at a company and they start working on a website and it has thousands of low quality links most likely caused by the actions of previous employees who no longer work at the company? I can only guess that future behaviors, actions and strategies in time can "prove" to google that the website is on the correct path and some form of change has been implemented. Probably earning better quality links in the long run can in time prove things are indeed focused on improvement but how can one prove to google that it was a previous employee (read: moron) and their outdated link building strategies that caused so many low quality backlinks? Can search engines detect or have any way of knowing if a current person working on a website is attempting to clean the mess from a previous employee? New arrivals to a website they are working on who are stuck with thousands of crappy backlinks is like finding a dead body in your newly purchased home. Submitting all those links to the disavow tool is something like rolling up the dead body you found and taking it to the dumpster....makes the person doing the "cleaning" look kind of guilty...

Edited by AvyGuttman, 09 September 2015 - 04:54 PM.

#6 SGEU

SGEU

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:33 AM

Thanks Torka,

I've decided the forum is more hasstle than it's worth and have removed it completely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.