• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Traffic Problem

Best Answer torka , 09 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

Please Note: This is a general rant and is not directed at any specific individual or website.

I'm sure when Ann said to spend relatively little time creating the content and most of your time promoting the content, she didn't mean to spend those 1-2 hours creating boring, repetitive, unremarkable, unoriginal or otherwise low-quality content. I challenge anyone to show me where Ann ever said that crappy content is a good foundation for content marketing.

What she's saying is that you can spend all day crafting the most insightful, entertaining, impressive articles -- but if you never tell anybody about them, it's unlikely you're going to get a lot of readers. (It could happen, but that's sort of like sitting around waiting for lightning to strike. Not the best business plan, frankly.)

So, yes, you should be spending more of your time promoting your content instead of devoting all day to crafting perfect articles and posts and then just waiting for others to discover it on their own, by telepathy or osmosis or something. At some point, your article is good enough and when you get to that point you need to do what it takes to let others know it exists.

But "content marketing" starts with remarkable, excellent, interesting content. Without that, it's like trying to construct a building on a foundation of quicksand.

Your job is even harder when you're producing content in a crowded market. Have you ever seen videos of the trading floor at the New York Stock Exchange, back in the days before electronic trades? It was chaos. Hundreds of people clustered around various trading "pits," all jumping and yelling and waving slips of paper in the air. To the untrained eye, it was almost impossible to understand how anyone could keep track of what was going on, much less conduct a profitable business in that environment.

That's what the search results are like when you're in a competitive market. Crowded, chaotic, and overwhelmingly noisy. Your content has to be able to cut through the noise, overcome the chaos, rise above the crowd. You can promote all you want, but if your content is merely ordinary, it's not going to get the job done. Merely "good" is not good enough. Your content has to be great. Preferably (in the words of Steve Jobs) insanely great.

Otherwise, it won't take long before the people who see your social media posts come to realize that the articles behind those posts don't have anything interesting, useful or innovative to offer... making your promotion efforts less and less effective, as more and more people reach this realization and begin ignoring your updates.

Look, nobody likes to admit they have an ugly baby. And nobody likes to think their content is pedestrian, ordinary or even boring. But the fact is, the majority of content on the web is exactly that: merely mediocre. If you want to succeed with content marketing, your content needs to be extraordinary. Give it an attitude, a point of view, a "voice." Something to stand out from the crowd.

Promotion works best if you have something worthwhile to promote in the first place. :thumbup:

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ironfisst

Ironfisst

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:44 AM

Hello,

I have wordpress free blog and share some useful thoughts or tips of data recovery, email management. I used rich content in this blog but i don't get search engine traffic. Why?

Please tell what i do?

Thanks

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:16 AM

I used rich content in this blog

Which means what?

Does anyone other than you know about this 'blog'?

#3 Ironfisst

Ironfisst

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:02 AM

Yes my blog submit in google webmaster an some search engine traffic on my blog.

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:22 AM

In your second post, you say you're getting "some search engine traffic" so I assume when you said in your first post that you "don't get search engine traffic" you meant you're simply not getting as much search engine traffic as you'd like. Is that correct? Or are you saying the search engines have spidered your site but you're not getting human visitors who found you through organic search?

Here are a few questions for you to ponder.

First, how old is this blog? You cannot expect a relatively new blog to get a lot of traction with the search engines. You are writing about some competitive topics. I'm sure yours is not the first website covering these topics, so it could take you a long time to build up enough high quality content and earn enough editorial links to compete against the more established sites.

Second, what else have you done to promote your blog beyond submitting through Google's Search Console? Frankly, submitting your site doesn't accomplish anything. If you have good links pointing to your pages, Google will spider the pages even if you don't submit them. If you submit but you have no earned editorial links pointing to your pages, Google may spider your pages but the pages will not stay in the index. If nobody else thinks your pages are important enough to link to, then Google will not consider them important enough to index, much less rank highly.

Even if you have some experience with SEO, you might benefit from taking a look at our newbie tips to see if there's anything there you might have missed. While some of the articles might seem a bit old, it turns out that the mainstream is now catching up with the SEO tactics we've been preaching here all along, so the tactics they promote are still relevant. :)

#5 Ironfisst

Ironfisst

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:30 AM

Yeah Vintage babe i extremely sorry for wrong type of "don't" get search engine traffic but some search traffic in my blog. I want more organic traffic. I post useful article. 

#6 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

Yeah Vintage babe i extremely sorry for wrong type of "don't" get search engine traffic but some search traffic in my blog. I want more organic traffic. I post useful article.

Ironfisst...just curious is it you who writes the content (in English?) for the website or do you hire experienced writers for the task? I mean no disrespect, but my senses are telling me that English is not your mother tongue language. Either way, as Torka mentioned to gain a following, gain more relevant traffic etc., you need to have good content and it needs to be marketed through various channels both on-line and off-line. If the content has great ideas but is poorly written and riddled with spelling and/or poor grammar, this may dissuade people, lose their interest quickly, and they may not share info. from your site, link, mention it or return to the website either.

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:28 AM

Yes my blog submit in google webmaster

Oh man! As far as promotion goes, that's about as useful as the proverbial "chocolate teapot"

'Blogs' on the same topics as your's are not exactly 'thin on the ground'  so if your site IS going to get any useful traffic it will have to be exceptionally good content that you are publishing and NOT be a site that is created just to scrape up a few pennies from Adsense or affiliate sales, loaded with "ClickBank crap" or other such "ten a penny" lead generating 'stuff'.

#8 alex23

alex23

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

I agree with AvyGuttman, English is not your first language like mine too, but I am sure that quality content creation is not the main thing that must bring much organic traffic on your website. As Ann Smarty said that you don't need to spend much time on content creation,  maxium 1-2 hours, and you should spend 6-7 hours on the spread of your content via social networks, forums, blogs, social bookmarking and other ways that will help you to tell audience how useful and interesting your content is.

#9 Ironfisst

Ironfisst

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:29 PM

Thanks for the reply Admin and others, but i haven't solve my problem. I will do all SEO work for my blog like as social sharing, forums, social bookmarking, and other work but i am not happy with this.
Please help me..............

Edited by Jill, 11 September 2015 - 08:40 AM.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

blog like as social sharing, forums, social bookmarking,

Promotion NOT optimisation, and NOTHING you 'blog' about is going to be  the slightest interest to the average "social" media user.

Basically your 'blog' is just one long series of adverts for your employer, nothing particularly original, nothing particularly interesting or remarkable. Take note of the last word in that sentence,  "remarkable", it means

"Worthy of having remarks made"

and that is the ONE thing you really do need to have if you are going to gain traction in Search. 

#11 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:47 AM   Best Answer

Please Note: This is a general rant and is not directed at any specific individual or website.

I'm sure when Ann said to spend relatively little time creating the content and most of your time promoting the content, she didn't mean to spend those 1-2 hours creating boring, repetitive, unremarkable, unoriginal or otherwise low-quality content. I challenge anyone to show me where Ann ever said that crappy content is a good foundation for content marketing.

What she's saying is that you can spend all day crafting the most insightful, entertaining, impressive articles -- but if you never tell anybody about them, it's unlikely you're going to get a lot of readers. (It could happen, but that's sort of like sitting around waiting for lightning to strike. Not the best business plan, frankly.)

So, yes, you should be spending more of your time promoting your content instead of devoting all day to crafting perfect articles and posts and then just waiting for others to discover it on their own, by telepathy or osmosis or something. At some point, your article is good enough and when you get to that point you need to do what it takes to let others know it exists.

But "content marketing" starts with remarkable, excellent, interesting content. Without that, it's like trying to construct a building on a foundation of quicksand.

Your job is even harder when you're producing content in a crowded market. Have you ever seen videos of the trading floor at the New York Stock Exchange, back in the days before electronic trades? It was chaos. Hundreds of people clustered around various trading "pits," all jumping and yelling and waving slips of paper in the air. To the untrained eye, it was almost impossible to understand how anyone could keep track of what was going on, much less conduct a profitable business in that environment.

That's what the search results are like when you're in a competitive market. Crowded, chaotic, and overwhelmingly noisy. Your content has to be able to cut through the noise, overcome the chaos, rise above the crowd. You can promote all you want, but if your content is merely ordinary, it's not going to get the job done. Merely "good" is not good enough. Your content has to be great. Preferably (in the words of Steve Jobs) insanely great.

Otherwise, it won't take long before the people who see your social media posts come to realize that the articles behind those posts don't have anything interesting, useful or innovative to offer... making your promotion efforts less and less effective, as more and more people reach this realization and begin ignoring your updates.

Look, nobody likes to admit they have an ugly baby. And nobody likes to think their content is pedestrian, ordinary or even boring. But the fact is, the majority of content on the web is exactly that: merely mediocre. If you want to succeed with content marketing, your content needs to be extraordinary. Give it an attitude, a point of view, a "voice." Something to stand out from the crowd.

Promotion works best if you have something worthwhile to promote in the first place. :thumbup:

My :02:

• Jill, chrishirst and AvyGuttman like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.