• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Best Use Of Keywords & On-Site Seo

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 curran1981

curran1981

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:13 PM

Hi,

We have a camper rental website. There's 3 main sections to the website: The campers available for hire (results pages), the Travel Guides and the Blog.

If we want to optimize for "campervan hire London" (and variations) for example, should we optimize the Results Page (which has some text at the top of page and the campers/products below) OR should we optimize our Travel Guides (titled Camper Van Rental In London but can be changed and is rich in content).

Both sections are very different, but presently go after the same or similar keywords. Im thinking we should optimize the Results page and just offer advice with no focus on keywords for the free guides??

Thanks for your help on this and if I need to be clearer please say.

#2 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

What do you mean by results page? Do you mean the search engine results page?

The SERP (search engine results page) shows results for queries that link to relevant pages for the query

once you have entered your query into a search engine, and the SERP is what is served to the person using

the search engine...

Your site is broken up into 3 sections...

1)campers available for hire

2) Travel guide

3) Blog

Im guessing campers available for hire section(1)  is what you can call your conversion or money page, since

it is where people can rent a camper and pay for the camper and service(s) your offer. Or at least

it is where you specifically "sell" your rental services etc..

2) Travel guide will be useful content that informs your audience, offers advice and something

useful they can read, share and interact with etc..

3) Like (2) some added info to help people learn more, gain a following, interact and just like (2), more for making connections and building trust and relationships than the for hire section (1).

people looking to rent a camper and people looking to read about renting a camper may have 

varied search patterns and queries that they would use in a search engine.

Search example A : "Where to rent a camper in London" B "camper pricing for rental"

another one :  C " good spots to travel with camper" or  D "Learning about camper sizes"

(A and b ) sounds like someone wants to rent a camper and is in "buy mode"

( C and D) are more like they are seeking information, perhaps to just read or possibly

to advance their knowledge and then eventually gain more insight and be prepared to make a purchase

When you write for pages that are set out to inform your audience and make connections and build trust, you will be using different language of sorts than those pages that you are setting out to make sales. They tend to overlap to some degree but keeping your information pages more for advancing people along in their own understanding and your conversion pages more in the sales approach, will already contain variations and approaches. Try and use your sections to entice various people at various stages of the "purchase cycle" and key word usage should be fairly automatic when addressing these varied audiences and people at different stages of interest in your offerings.

Edited by AvyGuttman, 25 August 2015 - 04:02 PM.

• curran1981 likes this

#3 curran1981

curran1981

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:41 PM

Hi, thanks for replying to this and for such a detailed reply. Im going to read it through a few times to get a better understanding. I've answered your question below.

By results page I'm mean the Product Results Page - it lists all the campers available to rent in London or Bristol for example. (Im sure there's a better way of describing this). And I'd say yes, this is the 'money page'.

Yep - Guides and Blog is info. only.

The main keywords I'll be hoping to rank for are 'campervan hire [location]'. Owners can list campers from anywhere in the UK and so eventually there'll be a different 'results page' for each county, city or location. I'd want to rank well for these terms and so based on what you've said, I think these results pages should be based around these central keywords and the information pages around longer tailed keywords.

My worry is that these pages can't really have too much text on them as people just want to see the 'products' on offer. Would that effect ranking or does content in the form of copy not matter too much anymore?

Thanks for this!

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:55 AM

My worry is that these pages can't really have too much text on them as people just want to see the 'products' on offer. Would that effect ranking or does content in the form of copy not matter too much anymore?

They don't need much text. The page IS campers in wherever. That's what someone would want to see if that's what they were looking for. 

• curran1981 likes this

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

Just so you know, Bing and Google have both said they don't like to index search results pages on other sites.

• curran1981 likes this

#6 curran1981

curran1981

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

Just so you know, Bing and Google have both said they don't like to index search results pages on other sites.

Thanks for this. So there's no point trying to rank 'product results pages' for a specific keyword range? Try to rank other pages of the site and guide visitors to the product pages?

#7 curran1981

curran1981

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 11:34 AM

The link below is to a business which does a similar thing but for campsites. They rank NO.1 for 'REMOVED' and it's a product results page with plenty of relevant text so that why I thought that method would work. 

REMOVED

Edited by chrishirst, 26 August 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for this. So there's no point trying to rank 'product results pages' 

You should have stopped just before "product" to make that statement a fact.

#9 curran1981

curran1981

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:17 PM

You should have stopped just before "product" to make that statement a fact.

No. It wasn't a statement, but a question. I just forgot to add the question mark. Feel free to answer it if you like.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

Who knows, 

It was fifteen years when rank 'checking' or rank 'chasing' was useful and worthwhile.

• curran1981 likes this

#11 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:38 PM

Who knows, 

It was fifteen years when rank 'checking' or rank 'chasing' was useful and worthwhile.

Chris,

You are absolutely right. I wish you could come talk to a client of mine and wake him up. But keep in mind all the disinformation that floats about and why so many people are misguided. You would agree, I assume, that there is some form of correlation between ranking higher that many assume equates to making more money or at the very least more traffic which most people tend to assume also immediately means more money...more traffic more money...it isnt necessarily so,...but many people don't understand it takes much more to appease an audience, achieve brand value, trust, and have repeat customers, long term growth etc etc. There are so many other marketing channels that need to be used and rank chasing is most certainly on its own like chasing the wind. I know this because it is written in Ecclesiastes several times, and I quote " Lo, there is a season to chase ranks and a time to render pictures of cats or your dinner plate and put them on instagram, turn turn turn..." 

Most people who ask questions here are not experts, you are, among others. There is so much crap information about seo, sem etc. out there. Thats why people ask questions here. A person can get pretty bewildered when the very name of this forum is....high rankings.

• curran1981 likes this

#12 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

Speak in terms of "earning traffic for [topic]" and not in terms of "ranking for [keyword]".  There is usually more traffic in the topic than in any given keyword.  And you don't have to rank 1st for everything.

• torka and AvyGuttman like this

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

The search engines don't have to "know" that your own results page is a results page. In the end after it's rendered it's just a page on your site like any other.

You can certainly optimize it with content at the top that that describes what it's about, etc.

#14 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:38 AM

The search engines don't have to "know" that your own results page is a results page. In the end after it's rendered it's just a page on your site like any other.

And strangely enough, real users are going to find that better than leaving one page of results only to be confronted with another.

#15 emmawilsonstartups

emmawilsonstartups

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:26 AM

I have seen websites that use a good content for single service page and added all cities where they want to provide those services and same page is showing for each city. You can also use that technique to get results for different cities with single page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.