• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Inadverent Keyword Stuffing / Spam In A Blog

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:45 AM

I have an excellent email host provider that captures 99.99% of spam before it reaches my inbox. Most is discarded, but some that doesn't meet their threshhold gets classified as probable spam and ends up in a nightly report emailed to me. From there you act on it, release, allow permanently, deny permanently. It works wonderfully.

However, I got tired of the same spam/scam messages just being allowed to show up without me doing anything but denying it. The most common messages are what I call, proposal spam interspersed with scams, such as:

• Guaranteed first page google
  • Website review and analysis
  • Business proposal for ...
  • REMITTANCE OF US$5.3 MILLION US DOLLARS ONLY, CONFIDENTIAL IS THE CASE
  • Website Design at $99 USD
  • SEO Summer Discount Offer

Almost all of it is based upon trickery, interpretation, lies, naieve readers, breaking rules, etc. Some of this stuff is this side of hilarious in how poorly it is written, horrible grammar, garish text and font colors, etc. Citing the can spam act of 2003 in your signature does not excuse you from being a spammer, BTW.

About 3 years back I decided I'd seen enough so I set up a couple blog categories, one for spam and the other for scams, and started posting the messages in my blog along with a comment from a few words to a paragraph regarding the message.

The problem that I'm concerned with is that of inadvertent keyword stuffing. As I write about spam, the word spam is commonly used serveral times in each individual post. That doesn't generally concern me. What does is the entry page where I list 25 blogs by title with a short intro and the read more. 

The word, spam, could exist on that page 50 times or more. In the same context, you'll see 25 sets of 'read more', perhaps 25 of 'classification', etc. You get the picture.

The question:

Is Google and are search engines in general smart enough to discern the difference in page content of intentional keyword stuffing vs natural content based upon the material in hand?

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:08 AM

Is this a business or a personal blog? If it's a business blog, unless outing spammers is integral to the business services or products you're offering, I would probably consider moving those posts to a personal blog, where you wouldn't necessarily have to worry about what effect their content might have on the business. If it's a personal blog already, then in the words of the immortal Emily Litella, "Never mind." :)

In any case, my personal opinion here -- since I don't work for Google I can't say for sure -- I think they are able to figure that kind of thing out. My own company's blog tends to mention certain industry terms over and over (I mean, how many different ways can you say "Fair Labor Standards Act" or "Family Medical Leave Act" when those are the actual names of the laws?) and it doesn't seem to have been a problem for us. Those are the kinds of things our blog is about. How else are you supposed to let people know what the site is about if you don't mention what it's about? :dntknw:

I'm fairly certain the "read more" part isn't going to be a problem. That's a standard part of many blogs. If it still concerns you and your intros on the category pages are created by using the "more" link within the post text, you can customize on a post by post basis that so it doesn't just say "read more" over and over: https://codex.wordpr...g_the_Read_More (Scroll down a bit to find the relevant part.) Even if you've got the "more" part hard coded into your theme, you can still customize the text so it has a little more "oomph" than just "read more..." The linked article explains all your options.

As to the excerpts themselves, are you creating custom excerpts, defaulting to the first 55 words of the post, or using the "more" quicktag? No matter what, instead of "spam" or "scam" you could use other related words instead, like "illegal," "misleading," "unethical," "unsolicited," "bogus," "phony," and so forth. A visit Thesaurus.com might be helpful. :book:

Bottom line, I think unless you've received some kind of warning from Google in the Search Console or if you're seeing some apparent problems with your pages being spidered or indexed, if it were me I wouldn't be too worried about it. :thumbup:

--Torka :oldfogey:

• Michael Martinez likes this

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:46 PM

A: Why does it matter?

B: When a word appears 150 times or more on every 'page' ... ... it may become a problem.

If you are writing about making omelettes you ARE going to mention eggs quite a lot. 

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:19 AM

The blog is a business blog and is casually related to my business as spam control is one of the services I offer.  I don't know that it has ever gotten me a pile of beans but I occasionally get a thank you from someone who found a post and didn't fall victim to a scam - and even less commonly a chuckle from a reader. I'm fine with that.

It's a custom blog I created so hypothetically I could randomize some phrases like the word spam but unless it is a problem doing nothing works for me. I devised the excerpt method based upon some pattern matching I set up which specifically applies to these 2 categories. 

Chris's advice suits me fine.

B: When a word appears 150 times or more on every 'page' ... ... it may become a problem.

That eliminates just about everything but the "space" character in this case. I wasn't thinking about spam or keyword stuffing in the every page context.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:10 AM

so hypothetically I could randomize some phrases like the word spam but unless it is a problem 

I would say that doing that would open an entirely new can of worms.because it will be doing something specifically for search engines. Just write it naturally and forget about "will I get penalised".

The few times I actually do get my arse in gear and get around to writing something, how many times I use a particular word is not in the fore front of my mind. Keeping it legible and readable is what I aim for, and if that means using any particular word a dozen times ... so be it. I do not set out with 'key' words that have to be used, only a topic to be explained. Just lose the idea of 'key' words and just "talk" to your audience.

#6 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:07 PM

I said hypothetically but since it isn't a problem, why fix it? I don't need more busy work, but did need some feedback. I'll scrap the message to Matt Cutts.

Edited by bobmeetin, 24 August 2015 - 06:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.