• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Home Page - Listing Long List Of Services - Is It Wise, Necessary?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

I'm putting together a proposal to redo a clumsy website. The website is for a pc repair shop and they seem to have fallen into the belief that they must list all their services on the home page.They have some supporting pages to back up the individual services, but for the most part they have gone the route of dumping a lot of information onto a few pages, like home, rather than content rich pages on each service. My plan is to raise that suggestion.

So anyhow, aside from the awkwardness of the home page, I'm trying to put a finger on why their structure doesn't work, and communicate the message.

The biggest thing I can point to is the facts that you can only optimize a page effectively for a few key phrases effectively and listing all will have little/no added SEO value ---- and ---- could potentially cause harm by thinning out the content related to the primary key phrases and maybe is just too much for the reader. But ... I don't know if the second part of that statement is true.

The question is, does it really cause any damage from an SEO perspective to list every service known to mankind on the home page? And why?

• minaedos likes this

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:14 AM

I don't know that it would cause a problem if it's just a matter of, say, a bullet list of their major services. I wouldn't include perhaps every minor service they could possibly offer, or for any sort of detailed information about what they do for each, but I can't see the harm of listing at least the major categories of services they offer on the home page. Perhaps link each of them to the service or category-level page that discusses that service (or service category) in more detail.

It's a matter of balance. You don't want to overload your visitors with TMI right on the home page, but at the same time, I think most visitors are going to expect the home page to be an overview/intro to what the company offers them. Giving them a general indicator of the types of services they can expect to receive is right in line with that expectation.

Typically, you wouldn't be optimizing the home page for any particular detailed service anyway, right? I would expect that page to be optimized for the name of the shop, the general category of service providers into which they fall, their service area -- you know, sort of general "corporate" level stuff -- all of which would work very well (both from an SEO and a conversions standpoint) with a simple bullet list of the major services they provide.

My :02:

--Torka :oldfogey:

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:36 AM

The question is, does it really cause any damage from an SEO perspective to list every service known to mankind on the home page? And why?

Dunno, but the answer is;

it depends!

In some cases it might, whilst other cases it might not.

The ONLY question you need an answer to is:

Is it good for real human visitors, and presumably you are human so you can answer that question yourself and be just as correct as any of us would be.

The litmus test is, imagine you have never seen the site before, then type the URL into your browser, close your eyes and press Enter/Return.

Wait a couple seconds, then open your eyes, ... ... If your reaction is "What the .... ...."???? then it's needs fixing.

Here is a "WTF" example.

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

I more/less expected an "it depends" answer.  There seems to be a lot of that going around - which is perhaps why I do better as a developer/designer than SEO.

There is that bit about what/why you are optimizing a particular page such as Home, vs a supporting services page.  In this case in addition to the list of services in the main content area, there is a secondary and more detailed list in a block above the footer.

i.e. "Just in case you missed it the first time, here it is again."

It feels like they built it with some repetitive content for search engines, not people.

As well the site's page backgrounds are black and the text is in some variation of light/medium gray, much in italic.  It's not only the overload and repetitive nature, but the horrible usability that I'm responding to when I look at it after a meal and some pepto nearby. Translation = garish.

And yes Chris I've had dreams about your example, reminds me of a directory.

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

If it feels like they built it for the search engines and not for people, it should probably go. I've found that the main times I get in real trouble are when I don't listen to my gut. And in the highly unlikely event it turns out it was actually useful and visitors are complaining, you can always put it back. :)

Trust your instincts and keep top of mind what's useful for human visitors, and you'll almost certainly do a lot better than those numpties who are trying to work formulaic "SEO by the numbers."

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.