• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

The Phantom 302

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ginab

ginab

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 09:09 PM

Hi all,

I always get such great feedback when I post here, I'm back with another conundrum.

I have a wordpress site that is hosted with GoDaddy's 'Managed WordPress' hosting package (I know, I know, GD sucks. But the client was already with them for his other websites so I couldn't move away from there....). I was poking around on some 3rd party SEO softwares and they flagged the site for having a 302 redirect. So I went to http://www.redirect-checker.org .. and sure enough, It has a 302. However, I didn't put it there.

I tested www.mysite.com/ ... and there wasn't a 302.

I tested www.mysite.com ... and there was a 302.

Waited 10 minutes.

I tested www.mysite.com/ ... and there was a 302.

I tested www.mysite.com ... and there wasn't a 302.

Waited 10 mninutes.

I tested www.mysite.com/ ... and there wasn't a 302.

I tested www.mysite.com ... and there wasn't a 302.

Every time I retest, I get a different combination of answers.

- I added this code to the .htaccess file and it didn't solve the problem.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www.mysite.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.mysite.com/$1 [L,R=301]

- I made sure the Wordpress > Settings > General URL settings are both www.mysite.com

- I turned off all pingbacks on posts.

- I combed the theme files for anything wonky (I use the same theme on another site and it doesn't have any 302's).

- I made sure no forwarding is turn on with GoDaddy.

Nothing seems to be solving this issue. I can't even find where the 302 is orginating from and why is randomly seems to turn itself on and off for the non-trailing-slash and the trailing-slash versions of the domain.

:fool:  :cry2: 

Thanks!  Gina B

Attached Thumbnails

• results.PNG

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:01 AM

The default server redirect IS always with a 302 response unless you explicitly set redirects with a 301 response. 

The implicit internal redirect from no trailing slash to a trailing slash being added is a purely internal "redirect", and the 302 status code is purely informational. I'm confident that search engine developers do know this and pay little or no heed to this as a "duplicate content" issue. I have never paid any attention to 'fixing' the slash/no slash on incoming requests, beyond making sure the site navigation uses a trailing slash where necessary PURELY on the basis that it uses slightly less (the emphasis being on "slightly") server resources to have it there already.

Quite frankly you are fussing about with a totally trivial issue. The fact of the status differing given a delay between requests changes the status code tells me that there is a caching 'plug-in' being used on the site, or caching is enabled on the server to reduce database requests.

Being GoDaddy probably the latter

Every time I retest, I get a different combination of answers.

That is because most SEO tools are fairly useless, and are rarely programmed correctly for what are appropriate and correct actions or response status by HTTP servers.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:59 AM

Easiest fix is to stop using that tool to check. You'll be amazed how everything is suddenly fine after that.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

The search engines often treat 302 redirects the same as 301 redirects anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.