• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What Counts As Duplicate Content?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 songsinh1241

songsinh1241

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:46 PM

Hi, 

I have blog teasers (the first 40 words) of recent blogs on a sidebar. The sidebar repeats on many pages. I thought it'd be a good way to promote the blog on the site. But now I'm thinking it might count a duplicate content. So I'm thinking I should take it off the sidebar. Yes?

But that got me wondering... I have a headline "Our Featured Getaway" on top of a slideshow that runs when you bring up several different pages (about 30 of them). The photos change. But the Headlines always stays the same.

Are those 3 words thought of as duplicate content? Same for the info in the main menu and footer. I wouldn't think so, cuz you need the navigation to be repeated. Just wondering roughly how many words can be repeated on the sidebar or menu before they might start being counted as dup content.

Thanks!

Songsinh

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:17 AM

Are those 3 words thought of as duplicate content? 

Of course they are, .. .. But to answer your real, which I would guess is "How much duplication can I get away with"? 

Two or three words repeated many, many times on the documents on any one website happen on pretty much EVERY single website that exists on the Internet. As you say it's called 'navigation'.

But now I'm thinking it might count a duplicate content. So I'm thinking I should take it off the sidebar. Yes?

No.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:36 AM

I have blog teasers (the first 40 words) of recent blogs on a sidebar. The sidebar repeats on many pages. I thought it'd be a good way to promote the blog on the site. But now I'm thinking it might count a duplicate content. So I'm thinking I should take it off the sidebar. Yes?

No. Presumably it's there for your site visitors, and if so it's fine.

#4 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

I have blog teasers (the first 40 words) of recent blogs on a sidebar. The sidebar repeats on many pages.

Almost every website that I am currently involved with has something similar. If there is any detrimental effect, I have never noticed it.

Mike

• Jill likes this

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

There are several ways to look at duplicate content but most people seem to overthink it, no doubt because we SEOs made it such a big topic for years.

Think in terms of "how much of the content on any random page of this site can be found on all or most other pages of this site?"

If the per-page average of site-wide duplicate content is, say, less than 30% you're probably okay.  If it's more than 50% you might want to get rid of some of that clutter.

You can use Google Analytics' "In-Page Analytics" tool to see what people are clicking on.  You have to look at the reports for more than just the home page of your site.  Get an idea for what people are finding to be useful.  Whatever they don't click on across many pages can probably be removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.