• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Broken External Links

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lillaxmomo

lillaxmomo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

I found hundreds of broken external links on my blog. But all of them are external links, linking to small businesses, companies, bloggers’ sites, etc.

1. Is it ok to delete them if the external websites don't exist, i.e., out of business, deleted, or doesn't exist? If I deleted them do I need to update my Google Webmaster Tools by resubmitting sitemap.xml?

2. Is it ok to fix the links if the URLs are incorrectly written such as not using http, or misspelling?

3. What if the external websites have a new URL due to name changes, new domain, or new page or product page link? Should I replace them with correct URL or do a 301 redirect using a Redirection plug-in? Or is it required to use .htaccess - will this drain my hosting server? I don't know which method should I be using since my blog relies heavily on plug-ins. 

Thanks for your help! 

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:25 AM

1. Is it ok to delete them if the external websites don't exist, i.e., out of business, deleted, or doesn't exist?

I am more than a little confused as to why you are even asking this question, if the links go nowhere what IS the use of even having them on your site URLs.

2. Is it ok to fix the links if the URLs are incorrectly written such as not using http, or misspelling?

Okay by whom???

3. What if the external websites have a new URL due to name changes, new domain, or new page or product page link? Should I replace them with correct URL or do a 301 redirect using ... ...

YOU cannot redirect external links.

If I deleted them do I need to update my Google Webmaster Tools by resubmitting sitemap.xml?

How can you put external links in a sitemap?

It is starting to sound as if you have the links there for entirely the wrong reasons, because if you have the links because they may be useful or interesting for your blog visitors, the answers to all of your questions would be obvious.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:30 AM

Fix them or delete them. 

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:41 AM

Agree with Jill. And I have a similar question as Chris: why would changing or deleting external links have anything to do with your sitemap? That's supposed to be showing pages that exist on your own website. External links shouldn't have anything to do with your sitemap.

--Torka :oldfogey:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.