• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Redirecting A Blog On Blogger Dot Com To A Company Website

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

Is it possible to 301 redirect a blog on blogger dot com to another website?

A company I am working for has been generating a good amount of traffic on their blogger dot com blog. The blog itself is over 10 years old. I have a limited amount of info on this traffic. I would like to add a blog to their new website with original content. The blogger blog is made up of copied content from government and authoritative sites. I want to keep this traffic and guide them towards various landing pages on the company's website. I am not sure if there exists a way to 301 redirect the entire blog itself on blogger to the company's website and have ideas of how to add value and links in the newer posts directing this traffic towards the company website. If there is a way to redirect the blogger blog to the website itself can someone tell me how? Or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Edited by AvyGuttman, 27 July 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

Is it possible to 301 redirect a blog on blogger dot com to another website?

Haven't checked lately, but it never used to be possible. I'm sure a search using that question on Google should provide you with an up to date answer, however.

#3 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:40 PM

Like many things online there are several views and each contradict one another.

I have to give the information to someone else so I wanted to make certain it at least worked before wasting any of their time. Would this work???

Yes, Blogger does not offer you to edit .htaccess file but they just released an option to use Custom 301 Redirects. From this featurs, you can do what you want. Just follow the below step to use this features.

1. Go To Your Desired "Blog" Dashboard.
  2. Go To "Setting".
  3. Go To "Search prefences".
  4. Click "Edit" On Custom Redirects ? no items Edit
  5. Now Add Your Desired Old Post URL In "From" Input Section And Your URL Should Be Like /YEAR/MONTH/POST-TITLE.html
  6. Now Add Your Desired New Post URL In "To" Input Section And Your URL Should Be Like /YEAR/MONTH/POST-TITLE.html
  7. Check "Permanent" Option.
  8. Click "Save".
  9. Then Click "Save Changes".

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:43 AM

I believe those instructions are for redirecting from one URL to another within Blogger (you'll notice there's nowhere to enter a new domain name if you follow the instructions for what the "new post" URL should look like).

I'm given to understand that generally speaking Blogger doesn't allow redirects from within their service to outside pages. This is to prevent spammers from using the Blogger platform to send people to malicious or low-value pages hosted externally. (They can get plenty of low value pages directly from the spammers' sites on Blogger itself. :) )

Assuming the new blog uses the Wordpress platform, I did find a free WP plugin that purports to enable redirects from Blogger to the new WP blog. It seems to involve making updates to the template on Blogger as well as installing the plugin on the new blog. I don't want to give the impression I'm endorsing it, as I haven't tried it for myself. But I can say it's posted to wordpress.org, has over 4,000 downloads and a 5-star rating. If you search wordpress.org for "blogger 301 redirect" I'm sure you'll be able to find it.

Good luck!

--Torka :oldfogey:

• Ron Carnell likes this

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:52 PM

Would this work???

Umm...try it and see?

#6 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for your time and effort. I do not have control over this blog. I was going to suggest certain things to those who do. The thing is the content on the blog is all copied, word for word. The traffic is of value in theory and can be directed to various pages of their actual website via links in future blog postings. My concern would be the content itself on the blog as it is completely unoriginal and copied, this may cause harm if it hasnt already or concurrently. 

I say, move the traffic over as swiftly as is possible in future blog posts towards the pages of their website and then keep them coming back to their website, shut down the blogger blog, and upkeep the website blog and content with original and valuable information that people will be ohappy to return to and link to and all that good stuff on their own website.

I believe those instructions are for redirecting from one URL to another within Blogger (you'll notice there's nowhere to enter a new domain name if you follow the instructions for what the "new post" URL should look like).

I'm given to understand that generally speaking Blogger doesn't allow redirects from within their service to outside pages. This is to prevent spammers from using the Blogger platform to send people to malicious or low-value pages hosted externally. (They can get plenty of low value pages directly from the spammers' sites on Blogger itself. :) )

Assuming the new blog uses the Wordpress platform, I did find a free WP plugin that purports to enable redirects from Blogger to the new WP blog. It seems to involve making updates to the template on Blogger as well as installing the plugin on the new blog. I don't want to give the impression I'm endorsing it, as I haven't tried it for myself. But I can say it's posted to wordpress.org, has over 4,000 downloads and a 5-star rating. If you search wordpress.org for "blogger 301 redirect" I'm sure you'll be able to find it.

Good luck!

--Torka :oldfogey:

You make a good point. I should have seen that. The new blog doesnt use the WP platform but thanks for the information that may be handy to others or in the future :)

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:54 PM

I have two blogger blogs to standalone domains, so it is certainly possible to do.  However, I strongly recommend AGAINST redirecting URLs to unrelated content.  Unless you are moving the blog posts to the domain you should NOT be implementing any kind of redirect.

Instead, modify the Blogger template to include a notice at the top of every page and post advising visitors that the blog is being retired and where they can find the new blog.

Leave the old blog up, alone, and functioning but disable comments.

• torka likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.