• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Switching Shopping Carts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rmorrow

rmorrow

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:57 PM

Going to try out a new shopping cart - which means new URLs.

I'm planning to keep both carts for a time because of possible bookmarks to the old cart.

What is the best way to introduce Google to the new cart and get it to remove the old cart from the index?

Thanks.

#2 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:45 PM

Going to try out a new shopping cart - which means new URLs.

I'm planning to keep both carts for a time because of possible bookmarks to the old cart.

What is the best way to introduce Google to the new cart and get it to remove the old cart from the index?

Thanks.

Would customers bookmark a shopping cart? I personally dont think so...

Search engines will not act like a customer and place any of your items in your cart and then check them out, so it is very unlikely the search engines will even discover those urls.You can always block pages using robots.txt if need be.

Edited by AvyGuttman, 26 July 2015 - 10:11 PM.

• chrishirst likes this

#3 rmorrow

rmorrow

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:34 PM

Life would be so sweet if things were that simple...

Please don't misunderstand the following - I do appreciate your kind effort to assist. Perhaps I should have explained more thoroughly...

Customers do actually bookmark the cart pages. We know this. Sales in the old cart have continued to be made since the new cart went live and all links to the old cart were removed (both carts are running for a while for this very reason).

Since the old cart was live for approximately 10 years the search engines are very much aware of the old cart pages. Us old guys that have been doing this for going on 20 years DO make sure that SE's are aware of the ecommerce pages. We use the old-fashioned "tricks" like links, sitemaps, etc.

As for your suggestion of blocking the pages using the robots.txt file - I think the smoother, gentler, "let's-not-just-throw-away-the- traffic" method of utilizing redirects in the .htaccess file would suffice.

I was simply hoping for a newer, more elegant and less time consuming method.  Any other ideas?

Edited by rmorrow, 26 July 2015 - 11:42 PM.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:58 AM

Blocking it using robots.txt or a 'robots' meta directive IS  the 'correct' thing to do.

Search engines have absolutely no need to index the "cart" or "basket" pages, they are NOT going to buy anything so have no need of a shopping cart. Also, your conversion stats WILL show lots of "abandoned" purchases caused by bots accessing the 'cart' URLs then simply 'leaving', and you will be then left wondering why 'people' are putting items in their 'basket' but not actually 'buying' anything.

Blocking them is the only sane thing to do.

Us old guys that have been doing this for going on 20 years DO make sure that SE's are aware of the ecommerce pages

Maybe, but the smart "old guys" make sure that the product pages are indexed, not pointless "cart" pages which add no value to the SE index, and WILL be absolutely useless to a Search user should they click through to one.

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:03 AM

When you say "cart" pages are you talking about the actual "shopping cart" (i.e. checkout pages; what shows up after visitors have clicked the "add to cart" button, placed something in their cart and are now entering their credit card info) or are you talking about store pages (i.e. those pages that display product information and from which visitors can click the "add to cart" button to place items in their cart)?

Because from the comments posted, it appears most people are taking "cart pages" to mean the first thing, but from what you're saying it sounds as though you might be referring to the second.

I can't see any reason for someone to bookmark an actual shopping cart/checkout page. But I can see many reasons for them to bookmark a product page. And of course you want the store product pages to be indexed, but there's no reason for search engines to index checkout pages. Indeed, Chris has articulated reasons why having checkout pages indexed is a bad idea.

Assuming you're actually talking about store product information pages (and not actual checkout pages), you'll want to 301 redirect from the old page to the most nearly equivalent new page. That will automatically send people who click on a bookmark for the old page to the new one, and the old pages will no longer be accessible. Once all the redirects are in place, you can deactivate the old store software, because there will no longer be a way for people to access those old product pages to add anything to the old shopping cart checkout pages in the first place. Everyone will be sent to your new store pages.

--Torka :oldfogey:

Edited by torka, 27 July 2015 - 09:03 AM.

#6 rmorrow

rmorrow

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

See what happens when you get to be an old guy? My apologies.

Torka is correct.  The actual product pages where information and "Buy Me" buttons are found are the pages I referred to

• Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.