• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

The Magic And Horror Of Trendy Websites With Slideshows, Lazy Load, Et

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

You mention slide-shows are not useful for click throughs. There must be some websites that can argue against that. You can use a slide-show to link to deeper content or content that you would want people to jump right into. Have you tested one on the site in question or are you merely taking stats you read or heard and assuming they automatically apply to your specific audience? Maybe your audience loves slide-shows?

Slide-shows and " in your face sign up" forms are two completely different distractions that perform different tasks or at least attempt to. Pairing them together as similar is pointless, most people are used to both of them and can easily ignore them or put them to use and prove a benefit to you in the end. An opt in screen that blocks access entry to the site is most annoying to those who have no intention of signing up and they will most likely leave but most opt in screens are easily closed and people are definitely used to this and its pretty much second nature by now.

How big is your (homepage?) slide-show and what can you replace that real estate with that would garner more click throughs....thats the real question, what is the answer?

Edited by AvyGuttman, 25 August 2015 - 04:27 PM.

#17 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:34 AM

Google recently indicated that it may ignore the content of slideshows.  So from an SEO perspective they don't make good choices either for presenting content to be indexed or links to be followed.

• AvyGuttman likes this

#18 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:58 AM

Google recently indicated that it may ignore the content of slideshows.  So from an SEO perspective they don't make good choices either for presenting content to be indexed or links to be followed.

Michael,

That is useful informaton to have and thank you for sharing. Is it a fair assumption that a slideshow can still be of use in order to direct traffic to certain pages (The value being determined based on click throughs of course). Is there any empirical evidence that states people do not click through slidehows and that it is bothersome to them? Obviously testing is needed for each site's audience to get a clearer picture. Is mere content with text links a more viable but less visually stimulating alternative in the header of a homepage, for example?

Edited by AvyGuttman, 26 August 2015 - 10:59 AM.

#19 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:50 PM

I will share my personal preferences because as far as I am concerned all the facts are jealously guarded by search engines and no one in the Web marketing field really knows what they make of all this stuff.

I am most likely to enjoy a slide show if it consists of pictures with captions, is not obscured by advertising, and does not force a page reload.

I never search for anything that I think will lead to a slideshow.

I usually leave heavily paginated content and go find what I am looking for on single-presentation pages.

So, on the basis of what I myself prefer, I design my Websites and advise my clients to design sites that I would enjoy using time and time again.

#20 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

Michael, do you have a reference link for Google indicating that about slide shows?

#21 AvyGuttman

AvyGuttman

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

what about a static picture that covers the header of a homepage, roughly the same size as the scroll pictures would but obviously minus the scrolling images....is this better for click throughs? I have seen this often for companies who offer a free demo.

side question: How does a site rank at all if they only allow a demo to those who opt-in and access those demos and the site itself while everything else is blocked and there is no other content on the homepage. Id have to opt in to see more but just curious, if anyone can answer that...

#22 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:52 PM

They probably give "Google" a free pass, it's been discussed here a few times.

For example

http://www.highranki...tected-content/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.