• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

The Magic And Horror Of Trendy Websites With Slideshows, Lazy Load, Et

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

I do mostly web development, some web design and education. With the websites I do mostly onsite key phrase and meta title work but if a client needs more, I defer to real SEOs. I do a lot of design/development research, also a bit of marketing or usability research when the feather tickles me. 

Web design goes through trends and design shops are quick to jump on the bandwagon regardless whether the trend is healthy or not. It 'seems' that if your business doesn't follow the trends, then you're archaic.  Your competitors do it, so ...

Just a few current trends:

• Gargantuous slideshows or content sliders
  • Huge moving background images with text, sometimes the main meu, layered above them (nauseating)
  • Lazy load (this can be annoying if you are looking for the footer)
  • Accordionish section loads - as you scroll down the page, a section with 2-3 boxes opens like an accordion - commonly with auto-loading bar charts and such
  • Carousels
  • Sign forms and modal type popups that force you to click the X to get to the page content - fit of rage follows.
  • etc...

In redoing my business website I did a ton of research into both joomla theme shops and frameworks like bootstrap). It's difficult to find a shop that hasn't mastered the above list, more/less with page load speed problems. I also looked at the websites of 50 or so independent design firms across the country. Same patterns. I see a lot of ego.

Some of my research suggests that the slideshows have negative impact on SEO stats in general. I tend to feel that there is a balance between making a website attractive, trendy (in the mind of the designer) vs. visitor-friendly and useful. 

The questions:

What is your feedback both as SEO (or web marketer) vs your feedback as general visitor?

Can you cite any particularly good articles or research stats which can be used to answer the why or why not to questions?

Edited by bobmeetin, 26 July 2015 - 11:34 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,718 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:57 PM

https://business.yel...ign-trends-day/

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:28 PM

Some of my research suggests that the slideshows have negative impact on SEO stats in general. 

That really doesn't make any sense as to how that could be true.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

Your competitors do it, so ...

Monkey see, Monkey do isn't a particularly good strategy for  being the winner.

#5 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

That really doesn't make any sense as to how that could be true.

Why not?  If you're a busines owner, maybe even a non-profit, what is almost invariably the purpose of your website? Unless you're there as an educator, then you probably want your visitor to perform some action once they have found your website.

So no the slideshow or in-your-face signup form distraction didn't have a negative technical impact on your visitor finding your website but once he/she got there, holy guacamole, it makes the brain go soft and the eyes go bonkers. So the visitor  doesn't follow through with the business owner's purpose ands run away never to return. Nausea forthcoming.

I have half a dozen articles bookmarked talking clickthrough with slideshows and such and none paint a rosy picture.

#6 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

Monkey see, Monkey do isn't a particularly good strategy for  being the winner. --> I like that.  However, there seems to be a case of it going around. The article you referenced Chris was spot-on.

To note, I find many of these webby gadgets interesting, the first time around. They tend to lose the WOW effect as others emulate, some just get annoying right off. The problem which I have to solve is how to strike a happy balance demonstrating that you are contemporary vs. simply a trend-follower who does it for ego without the real client's interests in mind.

There is a yes person around every corner.

Edited by bobmeetin, 26 July 2015 - 03:39 PM.

#7 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:31 AM

So no the slideshow or in-your-face signup form distraction didn't have a negative technical impact on your visitor finding your website but once he/she got there, holy guacamole, it makes the brain go soft and the eyes go bonkers. So the visitor  doesn't follow through with the business owner's purpose ands run away never to return. Nausea forthcoming.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you're right.

The most successful site I've seen recently has got no slide shows, rotating images, accordeons or carousels. Each page contains litle more than a few paragraphs of text, with a sprinkling of sub-headings, bullet points and (small) images to ease the eye. It tells the customer what services the business offers, and how to go about buying those services.

Maybe that approach wouldn't work for all businesses, but it looks like a pretty good model to me.

Mike

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:06 AM

However, there seems to be a case of it going around.

Oh yes, but I would put that down to the lack of designer imagination that seems all too prevalent currently rather than being a testament to the efficacy of the particular 'effect'.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:26 PM

It's because most Wordpress themes come with those sliders installed and ready to go. They're no big deal. People are  used to them as a good portion of sites have them, IMO.

#10 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:43 PM

You did say most?

https://yoast.com/opinion-on-sliders/

I'm not a WP advocate but I did find the post interesting.

#11 deeps86

deeps86

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:34 AM

Hi, I am doing SEO from last 7 years. Now a days, I am focusing on how to do SEO for parallax website design without adding pages. As far as slideshow concern, its not affecting SEO as far as useful info hide in that. Because we can't target our main keywords with slideshow.

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:20 AM

. Because we can't target our main keywords with slideshow.

And???

#13 deeps86

deeps86

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:06 AM

And???

what and???

What you want to ask?

#14 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,718 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:59 AM

My question IS.

What do you mean by

. Because we can't target our main keywords with slideshow.

?

Edited by Jill, 03 August 2015 - 03:42 PM.

#15 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:25 PM

Because we can't target our main keywords with slideshow.

I had to do a little googling to pick up on parallax design. So, for the most part one page although I don't know why you can't run with multiple pages. Anyway...

Whatever program/method you are using to update your website/webpage, unless it's absolutely primitive or just plain poorly devised, you should be able to do all the normal things such as manage the page title, meta description, regular content, image alt and title, custom titles and captions for content slider (slideshow) elements. Some slideshow extensions (ajaxy) are designed for speed and the embed content is simply not really there to be indexed. Aside...

The question is whether you can do all this effectively (too many key phrases on a single page is a different problem) via the use of a program that slides by at intervals - and statistically, doesn't appear to be successful with clickthroughs. Why use your best real estate for the WOW effect if the effect isn't productive, deposit dollars in the bank?  I love fun stuff, but...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.